About the restocking fee

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hawk1226, Jul 29, 2008.

1. hawk1226 macrumors member

If I went and bought a MPB today because I can't wait much longer considering college starts, I understand there is a 10% restocking fee for purchases within 14 days. Is this if its unopened? What if you added ram or any of the other customizations, will they still do this? I want to wait to see if there is an update next week, but I also need to start getting stuff on my new computer. Anyone who knows that restocking question let me know. I'm most likely going to customize the computer because i do alot with photoshop and 3d rendering.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

oh alright. So it doesn't matter if its not a stock model from them. If you add ram through their store they still do the restocking fee? Thanks

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You should be aware - customized orders cannot be returned, and I believe that adding RAM counts as customizing your order.

Also, why not get your RAM from a 3rd party, you'll save money.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I believe if you purchase ram through Apple the product is "opened" for them to do so.

That is pretty much the only customization you can get in the retail store. Any other customizations must be done online.

6. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

What's the point of buying it and leaving it unopened? Might as well just wait without it if you're going to wait...

7. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

Damn, so making an changes to the processor, memory, or hard drive through their store configurator counts as a customized order and cannot be restocked? And if thats the case were do you suggest getting ram, i'm not sure exactly how it works, just that it would be helpful to have more with my needs.

P.S. i don't know if it makes any difference, but i would be getting the computer in the store. that doesn't affect restocking upgraded memories, processors or harddrives on MBPs right?

And glaxx, if i bought it i would open it, it wouldn't stay in the box...

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If you buy in the retail store you will have 3 MBP options: The 15 in" 2.4, the 15" 2.5, and the 17" 2.5. I believe the only modification you can make to these in store are matte or glossy screen and any RAM upgrades (but like others have said, better to upgrade RAM elsewhere because its much cheaper, try newegg.com) If you want a processor or hd upgrade (as well as the hi-res display in the 17" I believe), you'll have to do it online.

9. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

Ah, sorry. I was under the impression you were going to leave it in the box! :p

10. hawk1226 thread starter macrumors member

No problemo Glaxx

And thanks deacon, i'll check that site out. I guess the only question i have now, or need atleast an answer with some degree of assurance, is adding ram in the store null any possibility of restocking.

11. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If the seal is broken on the original box, you will be subject to the restocking fee. Even if you have the memory upgraded in the Apple Store, the seal will be broken.

But I would check with the Apple representative first about this before buying, if you think you will want to return the system within the two week period.

I don't believe you will see any MBP refresh until late September, so if you need it now, buy it.

You can buy additional memory from many online vendors at much cheaper rates that Apple charges and all (most) of them come with lifetime warranties.

One addition I would recommend is to purchase AppleCare for your MBP. I can't stress that enough.

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Although you have a year in which to buy it, you don't have to get it right away.

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes you can, but you will lose out on 9 months of AppleCare phone support.