About the restore Disks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patankumar, Nov 13, 2007.

1. patankumar macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook pro 17 from ebay. The guy sent me a preinstalled tiger on the macbook pro. He also sent me two startup/backup disks with it.
    Now I want to format my macbook pro and install everything clean. Leopard DVD wont allow me to perform a clean install. And the restore/backup cd's dont just seem to work. It says Tiger on the DVD's but when I insert it in my mac, the installer starts and it gives me a warning "This software cannot be installed on this Mac"
    I think the guy gave me the wrong DVD.

Is there any other way to format it.
    I do have the two restore/backup DVD's and I also have a Leopard upgrade DVD.
    Is there a way I can format my hard drive and install everything clean again?

2. nikiski macrumors regular

The Leopard drop-in disc will search for a previously installed Tiger on your hard drive.

You will have to install from the Leopard disc, select "Erase and Install". That will erase all data on the hard drive and install Leopard fresh.

Which version of the 17" MacBook Pro do you have? Is it "MacBookPro3,1" under Model Identifier in System Profiler?

Hope it helps.

3. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Is this a second hand sale or a new machine sale?

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

The Leopard DVD should do a clean install just fine on it.

If the disks he gave you truly came with the computer, they should work on it. If they didn't come with the computer originally, you'll end up getting that message.

My advice is to install Leopard using erase and install as the other poster said (remember, back up your data!) then put in the disks the seller provided, and install back the extra software goodies like iLife, I'd imagine.

By the way, if the disks didn't come with the mac, you can still use them by downloading a certain program. Google it, it's called "Pacifist". There is an option to open up Apple install disks, and to install individual packages. It may be a bit complex for you if you're new to macs, so read up on it first if you don't feel up to par using it. In light of the forum rules, I won't expressly tell you to violate a EULA, but since this person you bought the mac from may have given you disks that didn't come with it, let's just say the disks do come with the mac and are just "slightly broken for your purposes" :p You deserve to have all the programs that came with the mac when the person sold it to you.

5. patankumar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Nikiski for your post

My model is Macbook Pro 2.1

But I dont see the option for a clean install of Leopard.

When I Load the Leopard from Tiger, it will ask for administrator password and it will restart and install the Leopard.

But if I boot the CD by holding C or or Option, it will show me three option, Mac OS X, Windows Vista and Mac OS D loepard install disk.

But where and how will I get an option for clean install.

6. patankumar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you WhiteHeart

But how do I do a clean install of with the Loepard upgrade disk.

How is it possible.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

From the info you've given us, I think you're out of luck..

It looks like the upgrade leopard disk is set up to only upgrade a previous installation of Tiger and not do a clean install. You'll have to buy a retail version of Leopard to do a clean install.