About the Retina Display for iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by w00t951, Sep 18, 2011.

?

Do you HONESTLY want a retina display in the next iPad?

1. Yes. Screw the seniors and people who wear glasses.

39 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. No. I want that speed boost with no penalties.

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

How many people honestly want a retina display for the iPad 3? Not for bragging rights, but for true usage? I'm just assuming that Apple has all the battery life bugs and quality control taken care of.

Here are some pros and cons that I've thought of that pertain to me.

Pros:
    It's Retina!
    You can read entire webpages without scrolling.
    Everything look more awesome.

Cons:
    Gaming's out the window.
    If games use less than native resolution, the anti-aliasing or supersampling will look odd (crappy).
    Even 1080p HD will look like crap.

All in all, it seems that it would severely limit the media functionality of the iPad 3, but increase its usefulness in web browsing and text consumption.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

i don't understand why you wouldn't want it, assuming that battery issues are solved, because app makers will likely update their products to take advantage of the screen (if necessary).

my guess is that the ipad will get a bump in price. the last update was incremental (ipad2), but this is going to be a major leap forward, and i think it will end up costing us a bit more. if that is the case, i may not be too keen on it. i don't know. the screen is so beautiful now :)

3. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I highly doubt that. Both games and videos will look just the same on the Retina display if not better. In fact the 1080P HD will look a lot better. I can tell you that videos that are less than the current iPhone 4 resolution but higher than the older iPhone resolution look better on the iPhone 4 display.

The only downside would be the apps that do not get the upgraded icons and other graphics which might look worse. But otherwise the visuals will be greater all around.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

What has screwing the seniors and people who have glasses has do to with it??

You do realize nothing will get smaller? The iPhone retina just got crisper text not smaller anything. This doesnt work like on desktops resolutions

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Why would seniors or people wearing glasses be disadvantaged by the inclusion of a retina display? The way Apple does resolution increases on their mobile devices does not make the things on the screen smaller, it just makes them sharper.

Also games and video will probably look very nice on the retina display even if they aren't at exact native resolution. Unlike finely tuned pixel perfect UI elements, games and video can be upscaled very well.

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Learn about the technology before you complain.:rolleyes:

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I wear glasses, and I would like a retina display. The extra resolution would make it easier to read magazines and comics in a two-page layout, and web pages in portrait, all while zoomed out.

(The whole point of wearing glasses is to make your vision sharp again. Without them I wouldn't even be able to make out the current screen unless I held it 3-4" in front of my eyes... Yeah, my natural vision is really that bad.)

8. iJasonTATE macrumors member

iJasonTATE

9. sebastian... macrumors regular

One major advantage that users kept posted was that retina would be so beautiful, we would be able to see even ultra small letters, think point of a needle small.

So I think that would be a major advantage. We could fit a huge wall of text - poster like, think 5 pages worth of text in just one page with tiny tiny words. And don't worry, this time we will REALLY be able to read those, because of the ultra clarity and definition. Or better said because of the ultra clarity and definition. :)

10. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Typically with desktop resolution, increasing it will in fact reduce the font size. However with the iPad3 implementation, we all expect it to be similar to the iPhone 4 where the screen resolution will double, but the font size will remain the same.

11. monkeybongo macrumors member

I don't think I've yet to think the iPad display was poor but I would definitely buy the retina version if it came out.

I just don't think we would get new applications or features from the display alone. I always felt the processing power and RAM is what's needed to push things to the next level and compete with laptops. For example, GarageBand and iMovie already just chug on the iPad and I think there so much more it could do if it had the processing power to do it.

They could go 1080P as the next logical step but it's already been mentioned that it would not be likely.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

People mistakenly thought the 3GS was an incremental upgrade as well. Aside from it not getting retina display, how was the upgrade incremental?

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

Incremental in that everyone got themselves worked up into thinking it would be a James Bond car in a 1 pound package. I'm still not convinced that the next update will be "retina" display. There's a lot of tech that needs to go into it that and it might be a stretch at current pricing levels.