About the rumored $10 monthly price drop...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Erendiox, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

So, I'm considering taking the plunge and buying an iPhone. My question is simple. If, AT&T does in fact drop their monthly prices by $10, will this only apply to new customers with new contracts or will all AT&T users benefit from this drop in price. I guess my concern is the word CONTRACT and whether the prices are written in stone for the contract's two year duration or not.

The answer to this question may sway my decision one way or the other. If I need to wait for the iPhone to be a bit more affordable, I'll do that.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Did I miss something - $10 drop?

3. Erendiox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Yea... there was a rumor that they were dropping prices. It's right here.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think maybe the rumor that he/she is talking about is the data plan. There was talk that AT&T was going to have a limited and unlimited data plan and that the limited would be somewhere around $20 per month rather than $30.

If this happened, I would think new and existing customers would be able to take advantage of it.

5. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy

You can change anything with your plan durring and after you contract without any penalties.

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Dropping the data plan by $10 would bring on line many new customers but I'll believe it when I see it happen.

7. aluren macrumors 65816

can you imagine someone getting the limited data plan and then setting all their apps to push...

8. Erendiox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Well actually, pushing only consumes bandwidth when the message is received. It's fetching that constantly uses data on the specified interval.

It's good to hear that the contract doesn't lock you into a price. I may spring for that iPhone after all.

9. aluren macrumors 65816

^ true. but what if it's like an AP new app and news are pushing through constantly? well anyways, yeah it would definitely help sales - $99 iphone, $20 data plan - could reach a much larger consumer base.

10. Erendiox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Ah, I didn't think of that. I guess you're right there. Come to think of it, if they came out with a limited data plan, I might just end up sticking with the unlimited one simply for the peace of mind. Of course, $20 unlimited data would be sweet. :D

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You could always disable Push from certain apps or all apps if you were worried about reaching your data plan limit.

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Sorry but I doubt that $10 will make or break anyone's decision to go for it. It's not a lot of money these days and besides after taxes (those are what eat you alive) it doesn't amount to much.

I don't doubt that Wal-Mart is experiencing less than hoped for sales of the iPhone. Wally World customers in general don't have the means or credit to afford one of these. Bad marketing on Apple's Part. I really think Apple should consider hiring non-college degreed people to work in their marketing dept. Four years of college and this was the best they could come up with?

Scary!

I will consider buying the iPhone again IF and only IF the battery life is substantially longer. It was horrible before and the reason I took it back within the 30 day window.

13. MacGenius89 macrumors newbie

The battery life on my phone is terrible, it won't even make it to a half-day. So i hope the new iPhone has a better battery life because i'm thinking about buying it.

If they did subtract $10 from the data plan, when did it happen? My bill came in and it is still $30/mth.

14. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

If your battery isnt lasting a half a day, you should seriously look at your settings. My batterly lasts all day from 7AM to 2AM, and i charge it overnight. Put your brightness down to halfway. Turn your fetch off, Wi-fi off when not using it, bluetooth when not using it, etc.

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

Yeah. With all the buildout ATT is doing I don't think they're anxious to drop rates. But, if sales are well below expectations, they might do it after a few weeks to spur sales.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The main point is that once your two-year contract is up, you would be saving $240. That could buy you the next version of the iPhone.

It would save me $480 because we have 2 iPhones.

17. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Me and my wife both have iPhones and deciding between $20 a month for a limited plan and $30 for an unlimited (per phone of course), it would be hands down for the $30 unlimited. With as much as most of us do on the iPhone could you imagine seeing a monthly bill if you go over – isn’t it like 40 cents or something every KB over the limit?

18. fratboy macrumors regular

my battery lasts from like 8am to 9 pm with moderate use . sometimes alot longer

19. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Uh...a $10 drop in a plan is 33% less, and would definitely bring in a lot more iPhone users.

Less is less. And that's what people respond to in today's economy (actually any state of the economy).

However, if this was true, AT&T would have announced this already.

But don't you think new iPhone 3G buyers should pay less for their plan because their internet speed is half of the iPhone 3G S?

20. samab macrumors 6502a

If AT&T offers a cheaper iphone data plan --- in reality, it will be a useless plan that nobody will get.

It's like the SMS packages --- the cheapest SMS package is useless so everybody has to get the more expensive one.

21. dagomike macrumors 65816

A lot of people can't see themselves paying $70/mo for a cell phone.

22. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I have also found that the simple act of switching to edge over 3g extends my iphone easily through the day. Although this means I have to surf the web at edge speeds, the horror.

23. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

70 a month? Is there a discounted plan I don't know about? :confused: If I get mine under 100 I am a relatively happy camper.

24. danny_w macrumors 601

I have an original 2G iPhone and admittedly don't use it much, but I get from 3-5 days with it normally, and last week squeezed out 7 days. I don't use push or fetch, and that alone helps tremendously. I wouldn't own any phone that only got 1 day of battery life.

25. dagomike macrumors 65816

[​IMG]