Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Panini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
Before anyone tells me otherwise, let me make it clear that there I am not interested in hearing that there is no scrolling lag. I have seen videos confirming its presence (in Lion) and even Anand's recent review has talked about it.

What I want to know is, under what circumstances does scrolling lag occur? I heard that in 1680 or 1920 mode, everything is rendered at double the resolution and scaled down, so is scrolling lag only present under these resolutions? (seems plausible to me since most people prefer these modes)

Is there any lag in 1440x900 mode? (non-retina)
Any on 2880x1800? ("Best for Retina" mode)

Thanks.

Last edited:

bryne

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Los Angeles
There's no 1440x900 non-retina mode. All resolutions are hidpi by default.

Honestly, if you're asking this question, the new MBP is probably not for you. Stick with your current rig or get a non-retina machine until the hardware and software improve.

Panini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
There's no 1440x900 non-retina mode. All resolutions are hidpi by default.

Honestly, if you're asking this question, the new MBP is probably not for you. Stick with your current rig or get a non-retina machine until the hardware and software improve.

Really? Is there no 1440x900 pixel-doubling mode? Seems pretty easy to do considering 2880x1800 is exactly double the previous generation.

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
I really, honestly think this whole scrolling lag is people being pedantic.

I'm not saying it's not there, I have no evidence to say it is or isn't, but if it is then I really cannot notice it.

In every day actual use it scrolls the same as any other MBP i've used. I can honestly say I would have no reason to think "wtf is this lag" or even have any indication it was there if people weren't constantly going on about it.

Best thing to do is go to an Apple store and try one for yourself. If you notice it, wait for ML. If you don't, then you have your answer.

bryne

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Really? Is there no 1440x900 pixel-doubling mode? Seems pretty easy to do considering 2880x1800 is exactly double the previous generation.

You can probably do it with something like SetResX, but it's not an OS default because it'd look blurry and ****** on the retina display.

Panini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
You can probably do it with something like SetResX, but it's not an OS default because it'd look blurry and ****** on the retina display.

Since it's pixel doubling, theoretically, it should look the same as it does on a regular, "legacy" macbook pro.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
There is no lag whatsoever in mountain lion. You will always get lag in browsers, no matter what the hardware, thats just a fact of life until one is upgraded to use more than a single processing core.

For peace of mind, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnw0Shqt8sU

That is pushing far more pixels than just a single retina display, and its buttery smooth under ML.

Office Hours

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
Best for retina no lag in the OSX UI in all resolutions when running on 650m. Lag under scaled when on iGPU. Very minor on 1680, somewhat annoyingly in 1920.

Safari lags on all modes. Chrome with experimental GPU acceleration is silky smooth on almost all sites. It chokes a bit on CSS3 heavy sites, non-retina does as well but on a smaller less noticeable scale.

All this on Lion.

My observation based on testing on a 1920x1200 external is that the main issue is browser redraw when dealing with css3 effects. Sites with tons of images and flash are silky smooth under chrome with GPU settings. Throw a lot of CSS3 effects and things get choppy. It has to be a software issue. Oh, and Safari just sucks compared to chrome.

Last edited:

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
Honestly it's not enough of an issue for me to even install the nightly build of chrome which supposedly corrects it.

I don't sit and scroll web pages all day looking for lag either :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.