"About this Mac" is buggy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koolmagicguy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

This is very weird. :confused:

When I open up About this Mac and click on More Info > Storage, I see only yellow (other). This is a very recent problem and I'm really confused because I have over 100GB of music and movies. It's really ironic because I just spent an hour repairing permissions and cleaning up with OnyX. Please help if you can!

Here's the image:

Attached Files:

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Maybe you left the system more confused than before.

Anyways, have you tried the simple things, like rebooting? Also, it is usually not recommended to use third party apps to "clean" the Mac.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For space issues, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Why were you repairing permissions? Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

4. koolmagicguy thread starter macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

Wow, thank you for your replies! I remembered that I had turned off Spotlight and when it reindexed everything shows up as it should. Thank you all again!

5. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i repair permission on my mac when it stops showing the screen saver when the appropriate amount of time lapses it does this on occasion when i repair the permissions the screen saver starts working again and the monitors go to sleep like they should