"About This Mac" not reading my Quad-core processors after Security Update

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jshbckr, Apr 20, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I'm on the phone with Apple, but I've sort of got the feeling that they won't know what to do about it, but after installing the latest security update, my About This Mac window now reads "Processor 2 x 3GHz Unknown"

However, the System Profiler still knows the processors-- "Quad-core Intel Xeon"

P.S. While on hold with Apple, they played Hello Goodbye by the Beatles. Sign of things to come?

2. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Does it matter?

It's utilizing the power of four cores, so why care?

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Actually, I would check activity monitor, that is where it counts. If it shows 4 cores in there I wouldn't worry about it.

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Hmm, that is rather strange, have you tried repairing permissions? Restarting? Resetting PRAM?

Long shots I know, but you never know.

If my computer said something like that, I would be concerned, could be a sign of a hardware/software failure in the making.

Why make useless comments like that anyway? :rolleyes:

5. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I reset the PRAM and SMC, Nothing. I removed the systempreferences file from the library, nothing.

The System Profiler still shows that it's a Quad-Core Intel Xeon, also registering 8-cores. Activity Monitor also shows the 8-cores at work.

I just don't like the idea that something isn't communcating effectively within my computer. I'd like to get it resolved.

Apple said I could "archive and reinstall." The computer is only 5 days old, but that means I've done the biggest chunk of installation: all my apps, my backups put into place, etc. And having to do that again would be a huge pain.

They said since the system profiler is reading it correctly, there doesn't seem to be a problem effective the computers performance, so I shouldn't worry about it right now.

6. piltupso macrumors regular

I was just getting ready to install the update on my 4 core 2.66 Mac Pro anybody had any trouble on this model with the update?

7. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't heard of any other Mac Pro problems. Then again, I called Apple about this and they hadn't heard of it. So be careful.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

"About this Mac" isn't a big worry, since it isn't an operational issue.

Just a lookup table problem with that app.

If the OS or the activity monitor had the same problem, there would be a worry.

---

Basically, this is like finding a Chevy Malibu owner's manual in your Cadillac CTS after a TSB service.

9. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

I certainly wouldn't do that if the only "problem" is that About this Mac doesn't have the correct info on you CPU. Besides MacOS 10.5 is coming.

By the way, an archive and install won't mess up your apps or backups, except for a few prefs maybe. It just reinstall the MacOS and put the existing MacOS you had aside in a folder called old Systems. There is also an option to keep certain network and user prefs which I would select.