About This Mac says 1 GB 0 MHz RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cawesjmu, May 2, 2007.

1. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I brought up About this Mac on my MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo and noticed the Memory read out was saying 1 GB 0 MHz RAM. It doesn't have any performance issues, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before or had any ideas how to fix it. In the More Info... (system profiler) everything is fine. It has the correct speed and type and status equals "OK". I am completely up to date with all software, and I ran Disk Utility to repair permissions. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

That's pretty slow RAM.:p

But seriously, if it doesn't affect your real speed, don't worry about it.

3. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Actually you should worry. I am having a logic board replaced because of that among other things.

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

It does not list the type of RAM either, and that is a bit strange. It should list it as "1GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM" or the like.

Is this by chance a new/used stick of RAM?

5. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I agree contact apple mine says 512 RAM 0 Mhz.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

System profiler has been known to show bogus info. On an old G4/DA I have, system profiler says has there's one RAM slot free, but in truth all 3 of that G4's RAM slots are full. On the same machine, some makes of SDRAM show up in profiler as PC100 RAM, yet they are really PC133, and work without problems, etc.

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

9. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions and that link. I'll keep an eye on it and post if I get it fixed. I appreaciate everyones help.

10. cawesjmu thread starter macrumors 6502

fixed

So I purchased another 1 GB stick of RAM and installed it today. So I now have the brand new stick and the original that came w/ macbook pro. Now my 'about this mac' reads correctly. Not exactly a fix, but maybe it just needed to be messed with. I wonder if removing and reseating the old stick would have worked. I thought about that before, but when I tried to remove the 3 little screws, they wouldn't budge. Today I just used more force I guess, so I could put the new stick in. Anyway, thought I'd share my "fix".

Attached Files: