About This Mac : Storage is way off?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by TheGeneralLee86, Aug 25, 2014.

1. TheGeneralLee86 macrumors member

When I go to apple logo and click About This Mac and then click storage it say's I have 64TB of used space in movies but my HDD is only 1TB but in Disk Utilities it says what it actually is which is 585GB used how do I fix this?:(:eek: This only started happening yesterday after I came home from work!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Reboot and see if it fixes itself, otherwise file a bug report with apple.

3. TheGeneralLee86 thread starter macrumors member

I did that and also put my HDD into privacy for spotlight and took it back out and that made it even bigger used space!

4. tmoerel macrumors 6502

It's a bug. Storage info is totally out of whack on most systems.

5. TheGeneralLee86 thread starter macrumors member

I never had the problem with beta 1 but beta 2 it started having this problem 3 days after installing it.:(
    Oh yeah forgot to say i did have a power outage while I was updating to beta 2 though!

6. janitor3 macrumors regular

Your right about the storage being way off. I'm running Yosemite on a partition on my macbook pro, I have less photos on Yosemite partition than my Mavericks set up, 712mb on mavericks, my Yosemite partition says I have 20.4GB of photos. :)

7. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

8. TheGeneralLee86 thread starter macrumors member

9. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I don't know what is the issue, but similar thing happens under Mavericks.

I remember one time when I uninstalled WoW with Battle.net. The program reported the game was uninstalled but there was no increase in free space according to "About about this mac" and Finder.

I had to reboot into recovery and repair partition. It happened twice to me already.

10. JoelBaka macrumors member

I have the same problem :(

It happend to me with Mavericks, right before I wanted to make a partition I noticed that my 'other' storage suddenly was huge. But programs like OmniDiskSweeper etc couldn't find were the storage was coming from. After trying everything I found online I made a Time Machine backup and a clean install. When I put the backup back the whacked up storage was gone.

But after using Yosemite on a separate partition for about 30 minutes the other storage also went crazy. I was bummed but like 'okay I have enough space for temporary download so no biggie.' But now I can't install PB2 because I don't have enough space :')

I already reported it to Apple when I first noticed it so that was a couple weeks ago. But now I'm really bummed because I can't continue properly testing, I have to stay in PB1 untill the official release. Or do a clean install which I hate and I'll probably mess it up. This is my thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1768394

Hopefully someone will find a solution :apple:

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

That is indeed strange if it's happening under Mavericks as well. I wonder if this feature is a Cloud based feature. Why it would be, is beyond me, but it doesn't make sense that it's now randomly doing that under both systems unless it's getting some outside data from somewhere.

12. kurosov macrumors 6502a

I have a 3tb firewire drive for my aperture libraries that it states there is just under 9tb of photos on.

13. 0000111 macrumors member

Since you guys have it done pretty advanced reset maneuvers, this feels more like a shot in the dark, but could it be related to Time Machine backups? I know my Mac often fills up more than it should until I move the local Time Machine backups onto its drive...

14. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Doubt it, my mac thinks it has 44TB of movies on its hard disk :p

15. JoelBaka macrumors member

Well I was finally able to install the update :)
    Now the storage shows 11 GB of films and 22 GB of photo's, but the 'other' is gone ;) So it's still crazy but at least I'm in PB2 right now!

16. joedec macrumors 6502

joedec

Its a bug. Report it, I did. Use Finder / Get Info (Cmd-I) for accurate usage.

17. JoelBaka macrumors member

Already done :)
    (btw Finder-Cmd-I also shows the wrong usage with me)

18. tokichoi macrumors newbie

Open Terminal:

mdutil -s /

sudo mdutil -E /

Wait for it to finish reindexing.

19. Tommyzors macrumors member

Mine also had the same problem but after I repair disk permissions everything went back to normal.

20. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

mine is correct. am not using time machine...perhaps something related? (am on a new hard drive as well...)

21. deviant macrumors 65816

Mine has always been incorrect but just checked on Mba with Mavericks and it is correct. Wow. Lol, never used it though, to many clicks.

22. mitchsaunders macrumors 6502

mine had it through the Developer Previews, but ever since GM Candidate 1.0 was released im seeing it normally again.

Attached Files: