About Those Dead Pixels...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GraphicsGeek, Mar 24, 2012.

1. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Can someone who claims to have dead pixels post a pic of it? I'm curious to see how noticeable it is, seeing as the new retina display isn't supposed to distinguish between pixels. I, personally, can't even see a pixel on mine unless a drop of water gets on it and magnifies it or I look at it with a loupe.

I'm being half sarcastic on this but I really am curious to see a dead pixel on this retina display.

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

3. lianlua macrumors 6502

I think you're misunderstanding what "distinguish between pixels" means. It means you can't tell where one stops and the next begins when they're the same color.

The science behind this is that when the size of an object falls below about 1 arc minute in your field of view, it is reduced mathematically to a point--an object without visible dimensions. That doesn't make it invisible. The basic example is a star in the night sky--it shows up as a single point of light, even though in actuality, it is much smaller than the visible limit of the eye. Some stars in the sky are actually multiple stars showing as on dot. Things don't become invisible until their brightness fades below the visual contrast threshold. Most stars fall into that category.

What this means on a display is that you will be able to see one red pixel in a sea of white, but that you can't pick out the individual pixels in that white sea.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

Can you see a single pixel that's discolored clearly?

5. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I had one and returned it but in my case I pulled up an image of a white screen and it was a black dot under the glass clearly next to two operating pixels. No it was not dust because the two operating pixels eliminated the sides of the dead one.