About Time Machine, how does it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rodami, Oct 26, 2008.

1. rodami macrumors newbie

I recently had to format my mbp, but I did make a backup with time machine.

How does it back up, does it back up my docs, pics, music and stuff? or does it also backup system settings and configuration, because I wanna have my laptop in factory settings to avoid some issues.
    After restoring eith time machine, would it restore the settings I previously had or would they stay in factory settings?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It normally backs up everything on the drive.

When you restore everything from TM, it will restore the settings.

In your case, I would reinstall from the DVD, then manually restore just your docs, music, and photos back from TM.

3. LZrees123 macrumors newbie

This will explain how to restore your entire system using your Time Machine backup.

If you don't know how to boot from your OSX install disc, watch this.

4. Mcbar macrumors newbie

does this include software that i have installed as well?

hiya,
    sorry just to clarify i am new to mac world and havent done a restore yet but i have a problem with my cd drive on my macbook and i want to remove a few things before i hand it over to a stranger at the apple store (some files but also a few programmes like Transmission etc that could get me in trouble for torrents and stuff - i could just be paranoid but i would like to get it back to factory settings as best i can before).

does this mean that i can back up with time machine then remove software and programmes etc before giving the machine to apple shop to fix broken cd drive, when the machine comes back i should be able to use time machine to put the macbook back as it was before leaving my possession - files, settings, software, game saves, everything?
    thanks in advance

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, a TM restore will restore all those things.

6. Mcbar macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for your quick reply, i now feel more confident about putting my macbook in for it's service