About to be a first time cell phone user (iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dangerzone, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Dangerzone macrumors member

I would love to get the iPhone 4. I have never owned a cell phone before. This would be my first cell phone.

But the thing is I don't want to wait until summer for a new iPhone. I would like a phone soon.

But if I were to buy the iPhone 4 now, and a newer (better?) iPhone model comes out this summer 2011, could I sell it and buy the newer iPhone?

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Of course you can sell it and buy the new one. Many people here do that if they want the newest iPhone yearly and don't have an upgrade. I did it with my iPhone 3G to the 3GS. So yes. But, in my opinion, I would just wait. If you can't wait, then do the whole selling process, but it would save you some time to wait til the summer.

3. cootersgarage6, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

Of Course

Of Course you can get the new iPhone when it comes out, even if you got the iPhone 4 now. See, you can get ANY phone you want and whenever you want. The only thing is the company, whether it be Verizon, AT&T, or whoever just won't give you a discount. You would have to buy it from the Apple Store, Verizon Store, AT&T Store for FULL retail price. Or you can go to eBay or Craigslist or something and get the new one if someone posted one.

But yes, you can switch phones whenever you want(:)

4. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

You waited this long, I think if you want 4 more months you'll reap the rewards.
    Sure you can buy the iPhone 4 and sell it, but it'll all depend on when you sell it and how much money you'll get out of it.
    You have two scenarios:

1. You sell it too early, you get maximum money for it, however you're stuck without a phone again.

2. you sell it too late, you get paid only a fraction of what you spent, and now you have to spend again on the new iPhone 5.

Finding the medium will be very difficult. So i'm saying to play it safe and just wait it out.

The iPhone 5 should have a Dual Core processor, and if you know what it is, you'll know how much more faster it will be than the iPhone 4.
    I'd recommend you wait, you won't be disappointed.

5. Dangerzone thread starter macrumors member

If I were to wait for the iPhone 5, there might be a chance that Verizon may get rid of their unlimited data plan and start using the tier data plan (similar to ATT?).

If I buy the iPhone 4 now, I can have the unlimited data plan which I really would like to have.

The other option I have is to buy a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V and take the $25 month plan (no contract). Use that phone until the iPhone 5 comes out and then buy it.
    Sometimes I hate the waiting game.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think waiting is a good idea for people with an older smartphone that they want to upgrade from. They can limp along with it for a few months. I'd tell a 3GS owner to wait at this point.

But you? Who has nothing?

I think waiting is a terrible idea for you. Get it now. Enjoy it.

Once the new one comes out you may decide to sell and upgrade. Or maybe not! You may find that the changes don't matter all that much to you. It could happen. I keep my iPhones for 2 years and haven't had a bad life. It's quite possible you'll be perfectly happy going from an i4 to an i6.

7. Reefbone macrumors regular

I personally can't see getting the Verizon iPhone especially with the unlimited mobile to mobile that is now available with unlimited texting. While their drop rate is better than ATT we are talking small numbers of drops total and even smaller number when you're talking about the difference. ATT network is faster and with ATT can do data a voice at the same time.

If you got the iPhone 4 now at a subsidized price you could sell it when the 5 comes out for probably more than you bought it for however not enough to cover the unsubsidized price of the iPhone 5

8. Centient macrumors 6502

I'm using the Optimus V from right now. Streaming Pandora right now in fact. :)

For the price, it's a good phone. I'd say it's on par with the iPhone 3Gs. For the price and the contract it's an impossibly good deal, if you can live with some of the restrictions of Virgin Mobile. No any time minutes, and you MUST be in areas with Sprint signals otherwise your phone won't work at all (no roaming whatsoever).

Having said that, I've also owned the iPhone 4, and it's in a different league than the Optimus. It's a beautiful piece of technology, with a refined and easy to understand OS. You're setting a high bar for yourself if this is your first cell phone. However that luxury comes with a price.

9. Dangerzone thread starter macrumors member

I have decided that I am going to buy the iPhone 4 in the next couple of days. The only problem is what carrier to get? Verizon or AT&T? I live in Vermont (near Burlington) and I don't know which one to pick.

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Tiered data plans are on there way, then unlimited will be a thing of the past for everyone. Its the next big trend from the carriers. If you buy now at least you'll have it for a certain period of time.

11. wxman2003 Suspended