About to buy 2013 iMac - will installing Mavericks impact negatively?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rchip, Oct 10, 2013.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hello guys,

I'm about to purchase a 2013 iMac, I'm going to order a 27" with 256 SSD and upgrade the ram later.

If I buy my machine, and install Mavericks on it when it's out, will there be any performance difference at all between my machine and another iMac with the exact same specs bought with Mavericks as it's native operating system when it's released?

I know it's probably a needless question, but I'd just like to know as I don't have any knowledge of computers in this regard.

2. CCerta112 macrumors newbie

There should not be a difference in performance, But if you are not sure about it you can always do a clean install of Mavericks on your Mac when it gets released ;)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No difference, in fact there will probably be an improvement as Apple made some good changes under the hood.

4. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

You could say the same thing when the next version of Mac OS (OS XI?) comes out. It's an endless flow of yearly updates. Like others have said, it'll probably boost performance - don't worry! :)

5. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks CCerta - I think I'm probably thinking about it for no reason, I'll just buy it and happily install Mavericks like a normal person!

Myflyn and Aaron - thanks a lot for your replies, it's my fault because my question is a bit ridiculous but what you've answered isn't what I'm asking!

What I'm talking about is for example, two late 2013 iMacs, with the same same specs. Would there be any performance difference between one machine that had a native install of Mountain Lion and then later upgraded to Mavericks and another late 2013 iMac with the same specs that had a native install of Mavericks?

6. Serban Suspended

is there another way to buy Maveriks beside putting your credit card on your Apple ID ?

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

iTunes gift cards

8. Serban Suspended

how can i get them or from where i can buy them

i dont have an apple store in my country

9. Bear macrumors G3

Put the credit card on.. buy Mavericks, take credit card off.

10. Serban Suspended

so i can put one credit card to buy it and after that can i remove it?

11. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Hah this thread has been derailed somewhat ... Haha I don't mind, just passing comment!

12. Bear macrumors G3

Yes you can.

13. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

There will be no difference whatsoever because they are the same exact machines in all hardware aspects.

Your iMac would perform the exact same way an identically-equipped iMac that came with Mavericks would.

14. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Ah I think he's asking the difference between upgrading to 10.9 vs. clean installed 10.9 There really shouldn't be any noticeable difference. OSX upgrades are pretty good about that. Unless you really have tons of crap everywhere, then maybe you want to just clean install 10.9 I clean installed on my MacBook since it was my first Mac and I had messed with a ton of stuff.

15. NCWildcat macrumors member

NCWildcat

Here in the States you can walk into pretty much every store and gas station and find iTunes cards. Are you close to any chain retailers?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There will be zero difference in operation or speed. Older versions of OS X had two types on install, one was an upgrade and other was an archive and install. The first type (upgrade) would only replace what had changed and did leave bits of the old OS in place. Newer versions of OS X are all similar to the old archive and install. By that I mean the entire old OS is set aside and replaced with the new one.

17. CCerta112 macrumors newbie

Actually there might be another reason to wait:

On every new Mac (at least as far as I know) you get the newest iLife package installed.
    If they release a new one with Mavericks you would still have the old one when you upgrade.

So if you don't need it yet, you could wait for that.
    Also, if you are on the fence between MacBook Pro and iMac, you might want to wait until October 22. and see what new updates there are.
    Those are the reasons why I am still waiting to order my 27" iMac :)