About to buy a 17 MBP, should I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tuba74, Oct 5, 2009.

  1. tuba74 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    #1
    Im a web designer who is due for a 17 MBP upgrade. Does anyone foresee any major upgrades coming in the near future? I hate buying a mac then they lower the price/upgrade processor after a month or so after I purchased.

    I understand that the upgrades are bound to happen and I cant always be the coolest kid on the block with the newest toy but I also dont want to kick myself for not waiting a few months because a major upgrade is coming up.

    Its a vicious cycle and I need advice from someone who keeps up with the apple upgrades to tell me if this is a good time to buy.

    Thank you.
     
  2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

    tofagerl

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #2
    It's looking like a pretty major upgrade to the Core i5/i7 platform in jan/feb.
    If you need one now, don't worry about that, but if you can wait for at least four months, you will get a big performance bump then.
     
  3. MasterDev macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2009
    #3
    If you need it now, get it. There are always going to be slight bumps here and there, so just get it when you need it.
     
  4. uberamd macrumors 68030

    uberamd

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #4
    I just got a 17" 2.8GHz MBP a few weeks ago and I love it. Buy now if you need it, you wont regret it.
     
  5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #5
    Normally I agree with the above, however, as it stands I would say at least wait until mid-october if you can. For me, I don't need another notebook and I believe the Air is suiting me fine but with a wild hair up my butt about getting a MBP (13"), I have to say I'm just holding out through October. To the extent nothing happens, I'll just buy.

    I'm not sure if there are rumors surrounding the 17" and the rumors surrounding the 13" are sparse, but it's worth waiting it out just in case.
     
  6. tuba74 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    #6
    thanks guys

    Thanks guys. I can wait until jan/feb fot the upgrade BUT then its probably a march/april purchase since i heard its not wise to buy a major upgrade right after the release because of the kinks.
     
  7. Kace macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    Sydney
    #7
    I say wait if youre planning on buying brand new.

    I was in the same boat as you but I decided to purchase it now as I got a great deal on a refurb (aud $2900--- what i paid vs aud $4100--- brand new price).

    Oh and if there is an update to Core i5/i7 i recommend waiting a week or so. Dont need to wait months anymore. Unibody MBPs are pretty solid... besides Apple Warranty is pretty great.
     
  8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

    Thiol

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #8
    It's a processor upgrade, not a body upgrade. Usually the revision A problems arise from new form factors and the resulting unnoticed problems in build design. If all they do is upgrade the processor to Arrandale, I would just go ahead and buy right when it comes out.
     
  9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

    mikes70mustang

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    US
    #9
    Well the new processors will be a significant upgrade. The only downside is the initial problems that arise with new hardware if you were to buy as soon as it came out.
     
  10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #10
    I would buy it now.

    In the UPGRADE you may LOSE SOMETHING !!!!!


    Example:

    Two weeks after I bought my 15" MBP, Apple released the UPGRADE.

    If I had waited just those two weeks I would have lost .....

    1) Express Card Expansion Slot - This was deleted in favor of an SD Card Slot which I would NEVER use.

    2) User Replaceable Battery - Sure the UPGRADE has a longer life battery - but I have a field replaceable battery that I can switch out any time I want.

    If the current model meets your NEEDS, buy it now !!!


    .
     
  11. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2008
  12. mastershakess macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Bel Air, MD
    #12
    wait until the next refresh and see if it fits your needs better

    if you want the older model you could always buy a refurb
     

Share This Page