about to buy a mac, need help making switch from VISTA.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lethallottery, Jan 16, 2008.

1. lethallottery macrumors newbie

i just have a few questions.

1) will all my windows files work on mac( basically most video formats like avi and wmv, notepad text files, and standard digital camera images.)

2) can i do this with out installing windows on the mac(kind of defeats the purpose of switching.

3) can i take my internal hard drive put it an external usb enclosure and plug it into mac?

4) is this a good time to buy a mac? (im guessing it is because jobs just made his annoucement.)

5) what mac is good for me? i would prefer a laptop that can run final cut express well. but i would consider the iMac.

6) if i get an imac can i plug my ps3 into it?

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1, 2, yes
    3, should be ok, but if your windows is NTFS system, there will be some problem writing to it..or no? also, im not sure if the partitions ....mmm...getting complicated....
    4, you decide
    5, macbook
    6, i have no idea

4. lethallottery thread starter macrumors newbie

that tv tuner tooked nice but i notice i could only plug in consoles and stuff via red yellow white comp cables (which suck)

5. fandsw macrumors regular

1) Yep, however WMV will require a quicktime plugin

2) Yes, however Windows is still good for some software that may be unavailable or worse on the Mac, Quicken and some games come to mind

3) Yes, it will read it fine, however Macs can't write to NTFS without some hack type programs

4) Always a good time to buy a Mac and dump Vista :D

5) Macbook or Macbook Pro, but that's really your question to answer

6) How about a Macbook Pro and external monitor that has 2 inputs, one each for the MPB and PS3

6. lethallottery thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks alot im getting the mac air or the mac pro.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If you want to plug in your PS3 with a Mac Pro just be sure to get a monitor that has either HDMI or Component inputs and you'll get a great picture. I've seen 1080p computer monitors for under $300.