About to buy a Mac Pro - what can I look forward to?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by unlokia, Sep 2, 2008.

1. unlokia macrumors regular

Hey peoples! :D

So... I have sold my 2008 iMac, with the intention of buying the 2.8Ghz 8-core Mac Pro. I'd love to know what benefits this machine will bring me; by this, I mean feedback from current owners of the same model, who run MAYA and 3DS Max, and also general feedback from Mac Pro owners.

I live in the UK, and the Mac Pro doesn't seem to be particularly discounted by any reasonable amount; is there some way (apart from HE discount) that I can get a chunk of cash off my Mac Pro?. My local Apple retailer tells me they'll give me "between 5-10% off, depending"... but depending on WHAT, was unspecified (I'd ask my brother to get it with his student discount for this).

The iMac is a lovely Mac, but I just feel that going with the ULTIMATE Macintosh is beneficial to my new interest in 3D design apps such as Maya, 3DS and Lightwave. I have NO doubts that the renders are going to speed up significantly, but I'd appreciate hearing from you guys PERSONALLY, and not linked to reviews and generic pie chart comparisons.

1/ Does the base model with 2Gb ram, run FASTER than the base config iMac 24" with 2Gb ram?. I'd have thought so due to it being 8-core XEON :eek:

2/ Are there any UK retailers where I can purchase FBDIMMS cheaper than, say, Crucial? (I know NEVER to buy Apple ram). Is there a SIGNIFICANT reduction in 3D modelling render times, using more ram?.

3/ I'd just like to hear from people who are pleased with their Mac Pro (most, I'd expect! :D) and to be given tips and tricks that will benefit me.

Anything else you deem applicable to my query will be taken on board. Many thanks - this is my BIGGEST Mac ever (no cheesy pun intended!).

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Obviously... by farish.

2. OWC... sells to Britain? Try there. Yes, more RAM means faster everything. People have said that going from 16 to 32 there isn't much change, but that's only because nothing can use 32 gigs of RAM yet.

3. Don't have one yet, but I'll be getting one. That's some positive feedback.

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

1. No it won't be as fast. Why? Because the Mac Pro uses FB-DIMM, which buffers the memory on the module, and also has ECC. So it slows it down a LITTLE bit, maybe by anywhere 2-5%. Not really noticeable though. BUT, the Mac Pro DOES have quad-channel memory, so if you have four pairs of identical RAM, then you can take advantage of it. And that'll be much faster than the dual-channel memory that the iMac has.

2. Um, as I don't live in the UK, can't really help you out here...But I'm sure more RAM will help the 3D rendering process out. I use After Effects, so it uses the all the available RAM I have, as well as all 8-cores.

3. I'm VERY pleased with the Mac Pro. It suits my needs perfectly. If you do ALOT of rendering, be it 3D rendering, After Effects rendering, video rendering, etc., then it's WELL WORTH the money. Saves you time, and makes you more money. :D

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Several benchmarks beg to differ.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Our CAD guys and modelers all have (the exact equivalent) to Mac Pros and to a person, they rave about how much better it works for them then when they had iMac-level components.

6. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Yup, and that's why I said it's not noticeable. :rolleyes:

Unless we're sitting here like hardcore PC enthusiasts who just sit there and do benchmarks. And they're like, "DOOOOD, my computer has faster RAM than youuurs!!! I got a higher scooore on ma memory bench yo! OOOMMGGGZZ!!!" :eek:

Silly people. All they care about is the number, but in the real world, you won't notice a difference. ;)

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If you want the difference in speed between an iMac and a Mac Pro it will be significant for multi-threaded applications such as Max and Maya.

8. unlokia thread starter macrumors regular

Precisely what I need/want for my work! thanks!. I wasn't completely aware of the maximum addressable RAM available to both apps; some say 16 is the max for Max (punavoidable! :D) but I can't say I know.

Thankyou for a polite, unemotional and informative reply. Concise and helpful. Many could learn from you, thankyou!.

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I was a bit skeptical, like you, before I bought my Mac Pro.

But now that I have it (and I'm using it every day!), I can surely tell you that there is NOTHING to hold back on. It's a fabulous system on the inside, and outside, and runs very, very fast.