About To Buy A Macbook: HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by EmptyCalm, Apr 19, 2008.

1. EmptyCalm macrumors member

Hey

Well I'm close to buying a Macbook and after thinking about it I chose this over the MBA. I'm going to buy the black 2.4ghz Macbook but I have one question since this is my first laptop.

Should I upgrade the RAM (from 2GB to 4GB) and waste the 400$ or should I buy it somewhere else for cheap, if there is some; I don't really know like I said I'm new to the whole laptop thing. :eek:

:apple:

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Don't buy it from Apple, far too expensive. You can buy it cheaper HERE

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

F*ck man, don't buy RAM from Apple. Get it for a quarter of the price from somewhere good and install it yourself. It's really easy.

My brand spanking new black MacBook is running like a gem with 2GB of RAM. When I crank it up to 4 it'll scream.

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

before you consider buying the black one, take a look at the differences between the mid level macbook and the black one. the only difference is the color and the harddrive space. unless you really want a black mb, i would get the mid level mb because it offers the same processor speed and ram. you can always upgrade the hd and ram later on, so when it comes down to it, the choice really lays in the color.

like everyone else said, do not buy ram from apple. you can pick up a 4gb kit (2x2gb) for $80 or less.

5. spooky mulder macrumors regular

dude, don't buy ram from apple. Get the 2 one gig sticks and then buy the 2 two gig stick somewhere else for like a 1/4 of the price. Come on now, and yeah go white macbook save some money and just upgrade hard drive later on.....120 gig is truly enough 'till you can save 100 bucks or so for bigger.

6. EmptyCalm thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks I would have been a retard if I did that.

And to fuzzie, I know about the differnces but I personally like the look of the blackbook. The white ones look cool but to me it just doesnt do it for me. I'm cool spending the extra cash. Atleast my parents are....:)

7. meyer1131 macrumors regular

Color

Well you pay $100 for the color. You can update the mid white one to the same amount of hd and pay $1399.

8. sagnier macrumors regular

and its worth it!

9. windowpain macrumors 6502a

You might also want to look into getting a refurb. I recently got refurb macbook 2.2GHz. I put in a cheap 4gigs of ram (not from apple!) and a 250 gig hard drive, saved myself a lot of money and got an awesome laptop.

My refurb was also in pristine condition, i wouldn't hesitate in getting another when the time comes.

but anyway, don't pay apple for extra ram or extra hard drive space, its trivial to put it in yourself.

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Getting the refurb and aftermarket ram will more than pay for the color (and I love the two blackbooks I have!).

11. EmptyCalm thread starter macrumors member

Yeah man like I said the white doesn't do it for me. I'm not wasting money on the white just because it's cheaper, I'd still be unhappy because in the end I want the black Macbook so it doesn't matter that it's cheaper for me at least.

12. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

My girlfriend's White MacBook has scratches all over it. They scratch like the old white iPods. The Blackbook gets greasy but that easily washes off. Especially on the new ones that are black plastic, not painted black plastic.

13. Jman14 macrumors 6502

The white gets the dirty look to easly I would rather have fingerprints that easly wipe off

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Plus you DON'T have to upgrade the hard drive right from the start.

BlackBook all the way!

15. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Apple RAM prices are through the roof. Buy it from Other World Computing. (macsales.com)

16. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Crucial.com is also another good place to get RAM. Fairly cheap, and works well. As a general rule, don't buy Apple RAM or hard drive upgrades.

17. Macaz macrumors newbie

I have just bought my white macbook.
    Don't waste your money on the 4gb the 2gb is plenty
    Unless you are doing intensive stuff dont worry

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Definitely, go with 4GB of RAM. It's $90 bucks from OWC.

Leopard is RAM hungry and it will run really nice with 4GB. The lower the available RAM gets, the more swapping to disk, and that's when you will see the performance hit. For the price, there is no reason to not throw in the max.

If you do get the 4GB, do not sell the 2GB Apple RAM. Keep it just in case you have problems with the machine. Any problems, first thing Apple will blame is the RAM. So you just pop in the stock Apple RAM, and test.

They are awesome machines, you'll be very happy with it.

-Kevin

19. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I got the blackbook last weekend as well and i love it. the color is just sexy... 2GB of ram is plenty fast but i went ahead and ordered the 4gb pack from Crucial anyway it was only $105 and at that price why not max it out to its full potential? anyway i'm glad i went with the black, bigger hard drive is nice you never know when youre going to need the extra space in this day and age of video and music media. and the black color with the white apple just looks awesome, it was definitely worth the extra money. plus i got a nice discount so i actually paid what the white mid-level would have cost me retail for the blackbook.

20. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

I am running a 2 ghz core duo w/ 2gb ram white macbook. I want to upgrade but am waiting until after June for the next revision - I heard they are redesigning them to be aluminum.