About to buy a Macbook, just a couple quick questions first

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by culrich, Feb 27, 2008.

1. culrich macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a refurbished Macbook. I've been lurking around and researching for the past couple months and I'm finally ready to buy a Macbook. I just have a couple concerns about the integrated graphics that are holding me back.

I know that the X3100 is far from a great gaming card, but how does it hold up with moderate demand? I play a few games, such as Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, Empire Earth II, and Halo. Can the X3100 handle these somewhat older games with a playable framerate and somewhat decent graphics? (I know that I will have to run these through bootcamp or something similar)

I'm definitely not a pro graphic designer or video composer, but I would like to be able to make shorter movies with iMovie and do some novice stuff in Photoshop. Would either one of these be held back by the x3100.

These are really my only concerns with the Macbook, and I simply cannot justify the price difference that comes with the Macbook Pro (plus the fact that I'm a poor college student doesn't help :) )

Thanks for your help!

2. Thrawn macrumors member

I'm not so sure about Halo, but I'm pretty sure your all right regarding the other games, along with photoshop.

3. stomer macrumors 6502a

iMovie requires a fair amount of memory and 2GB wouldn't be a bad idea.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I wouldn't worry about running Photoshop or the older games. They'll run well. iMovie will be fine.

Your intengrated graphics is better than the one in my MacBook, and I can run things with ease. I don't really play games, but the X3100 should be much better than my system, and even my system can run semi-old games. ;)

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Even in the older macbooks PS runs fine - espeicially for just novice adjustments you won't have ANY problems regarding speed.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I run PhotoShop, some games, etc and my MB runs without problems. I've never used iMovie. I wouldn't worry about issues unless you plan on keeping multiple high resource programs running simultaneously. I can run PhotoShop, iTunes, and Safari at the same time without issue and I only have 1GB RAM :)

7. culrich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I just bought my first mac last night - a shiny white macbook - and I couldn't be happier!