About to buy a Macbook Pro 15": Questions and Concerns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TrojanX, Jul 10, 2010.

1. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

On July 17 I am purchasing my first Mac computer and am looking into purchasing the entry level MBP 15" 2.4ghz I5 processor and I have a few Questions that are a bit concerning for a new mac switcher. I appologize if this thread is out of place or to generic but this is my first post on MR Forums so i'm a bit skeptical on everything. I performed a search for some of these concerns and although I read many threads, none of them properly answered my issues.

1. I am looking for a laptop in the mac like that properly fill my word processing, web browsing, and light photo/movie editing needs, but more importantly I am looking to make this investment last me through my senior year in high school and through 4 years of college. Is the MBP 15" 2.4ghz the right computer for my needs and have a moderately functional longevity or, should I consider another MB? Will MBP last 5 years??

2. Concerning the MBP 15" I have read a few thread on here about "All" MBP I5s/17s having terribly bad freezing issues. Is this rumor true? Does it really Affect all MBP I5/I7?? Should I wait to purchase a MBP??

3. As a switching user I have done alot of research on how to properly manage and maintain a mac. I have heard that Onyx is a very good program and that macs are virtually resistant to virus. Is Onyx all its cracked up to be and do I need it to preserve this laptop for my hopeful 5 years? What is a good AV for scanning files if I want to give a friend a file without being careless and oblivious to his ability to contract viruses from my files??

again I apologize in advance if this thread is out of place or to lengthy in its scope. Please bear with me as I am not only a new mac switcher but new to this Forum. Also, any tips for maintain a mac would be greatly appreciated!

2. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

1. For your uses it should do just fine.
    2. I've had none so far and it's been a few months
    3. Don't have it...

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Macbook Pro 15" base model is actually 2.4GHz Core i5, not 2.24. For your needs this model will do you just fine. In fact the higher models aren't specced much more than the base model so it will be good for light to very demanding applications. It will be quite a powerhouse for heavy video and photo editing.

In terms of Onyx, some people swear by it but I don't use it. Mac OS X does not need the same heavy maintenance as Windows 7 so basic things like clearing out any stuck ram and light cache cleaning can be easily done with the built in tools on Mac OS X. I have this exact model and I have not experienced any freezing or beachballs (spinning wheel waiting cursor). I'm a power user and I have had zero issues with this computer. Forget the AV software, not needed.

4. 064629009 macrumors member

I just got a 15" i7 stock MBP a month ago with the same uses as you (I even do some gaming on it, it's great) and I'm also planning to use mine through my senior year and high school and 4 years of university. I've been reading a lot about the longevity of the MBPs, and they seem to last a long time.
    And no, not all of the i5/i7's have the freezing issue (mine has been running perfectly ever since I got it). I think that it's just because you see more of people complaining (about the freeze issue, for instance) on these boards rather than talking about how perfect their MBP has worked (why create numerous discussions about that?)
    Anyways, you should be fine :)

5. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

I have also just ordered my first MacBook Pro a few days ago. Although I have not actually used one, I have been researching them for about 3 months.

First off all, I am also going to be in my last year of High School, and my primary reason for buying this was to hopefully last me through Grade 12 and most of University. From what i have read, the MacBook Pro will last several years if you take care of it. But who knows how technology will evolve in the next few years. In 3 years, your MacBook Pro may still work as well as it did today, but they may have new MacBooks that are twice as fast.

I cant answer your second question since I technically dont have my MacBook Pro yet, but remember that alot of people come to this site for help regarding issues about their computer. There was a poll somewhere here that surveyed MBP owners to see how many computers actually have problems. From what I recall, about 95% of the voters had no issues.

Sorry if my wording is messed up, I am very tired and I am watching TV while typing this. Hope this helps.

6. TrojanX thread starter macrumors member

TrojanX

Woops! I pulled the specs off the top of my head! Edited! On the AV, I am aware that I don't need it, but I am more looking out for file transfer to my family who are sworn Windows users. Can files i give that that may have a virus that is not coded for OSX give them a virus. If so, which one should i get to merely scan files.

That is what i assumed was the case, but there were some nutjobs on the threads spouting prophetic statements like " It is not a whether you machine will or will not have a freezing prob but WHEN". I hoped these were just some false prophets and that majority of users experience no issues. I am looking at throwing down a wad of cash for this and I don't want to be purchasing a lemon ;)

7. TrojanX thread starter macrumors member

TrojanX

Also, for my needs do you guys think that a 13" would be more suitable, or would the intel core duo be to quickly outdated and not functionally usefull in the next 5 years?

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

In that case, then yes it would make sense for you to use a virus scanner. Yes, if you have a Windows coded virus on your Mac and pass it along to a Windows user they will become infected if they open it. Since I don't use any AV softwares someone else on the forum may be able to recommend a good free scanner.

Even the slowest 13" Macbook will work well for your needs, in terms of getting the job done. The Core i Series notebooks will be much faster in terms of encoding and more power use. The way tech moves so fast these days I don't think any computer on the market will last 5 years in terms of future proofing but you should be able to easily use the slowest Mac for years to come until it's no longer able to drive up to date softwares.

9. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

the base 15" i5 is enough for your needs, and sure it will last 4 years if you treat it well. I have my base 15" for almost two months now and zero problems, that's just a bunch of complaining people creating psychosis over a minor problem. I used to have onix, then switched to clean my mac, but onix did a great job. Now if you want to make sure you're not sending PC viruses that may be in your system, use clamXav, it's great and free...

10. TrojanX thread starter macrumors member

TrojanX

Thank you alot!