About to buy a Macbook Pro: Book suggestions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ryzer, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Ryzer macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm about to buy a Macbook Pro within the next couple of days. I do not have that much experience with Mac OS X so I'm looking for a book that will guide me through things quickly. I'm an IT student and I have experience with Linux (both desktop use and server management).

So basically, I'm not looking for an 800 pages phonebook written for complete newbies, but something that will:
    - Easily get me started "migrating" to Mac OS X
    - Give an overview on how Mac OS X differs from other operating systems such as Windows and Linux when it comes to usability
    - Tips and tricks that would make things easier but would take me a while to discover myself if I don't read it in a book
    - Overview of useful short keys
    - What makes the Mac OS X command line interface different from other UNIX-based operating systems

Does anyone have any suggestions? :)

Also, when it comes to the Macbook Pro: If anyone has any suggestions or comments I should know before buying, please feel free to share.

Thank you for your help! :apple:

2. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Hi, this is not a book, but someone posted this blog in a different thread earlier, which I took to reading in the past half hour and which I found quite interesting. Although not a book but rather a blog of scattered observations, it is somewhat along the lines of what you might be interested in.

http://www.davidalison.com

(Start from February, and work your way up.)

3. operator207 macrumors 6502

All of those questions are pretty much covered in depth here in these forums. If your used to Linux, you really should not have any issue. If you have *BSD experience, you will be more at home on the CLI. BTW, its not the CLI that is different, its the same bash, tcsh, etc. Its the env vars that can be different.

One thing that may help you, check out macports.org. If you are familiar with any port system, you will find it very familiar.

4. Ryzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Off course blogs and other resources are welcome too! Thanks for the link, it looks promising so I've bookmarked it.

Yes that is why I registered to these forums today. I'm planning on using them more and more once I get my Macbook for further research. But I figured a book or some other resources might be welcome too. :)