about to buy a macbook pro. Few Questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duykur, Feb 24, 2008.

1. duykur macrumors regular

Ok so I will be buying a new MBP when apple finally decides to renew them but before i take the plunge i have a few questions.

1. I am planing to install xp on bootcamp to play games and what not but i might buy parallels/vmware later,which one do you guys prefer and is it possible to run those programs of an already existing xp partition (bootcamp one),

2. what are the must have programs of osx

thanks for your participation

2. eddy64 macrumors regular

3. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I'm using vmware and it works good for me. I use it to virtualize my boot camp partition and it works perfectly.

There are millions of threads on must have mac apps. Just do a search and you'll find all of these.

4. scott9s macrumors member

vmware fusion is great. 1) Create a Bootcamp Partition First with whatever OS, then 2) install Fusion and use the bootcamp as the vm. This way, you can have best of both worlds. if you want to run windows native you can, but if you want to use windows apps inside osx you can.

As far as apps, I know that chris pirillo did a nice top apps list.

5. damesJ macrumors member

i actually have a question about fusion. i have a bootcamp partition with xp installed. when i try to use fusion it says i need to activate windows but when i boot it natively it works fine. anyway to fix this?

6. scott9s macrumors member

What version of fusion are you using? (I recommend you use 1.1)

Also, you have to install things in the proper order.

1. Install Windows XP SP2 (or Vista) using Boot Camp
    2. Activate Windows under Boot Camp
    3. Install Fusion, picking the Boot Camp as the virtual machine (Do Not Activate Windows in Fusion until after you install the VMWare Tools)
    4. Install the VMware Tools
    5. Reboot the virtual machine
    6. Activate Windows under Fusion

Look at Page 15 of this link:
    http://vmware.com/pdf/fusion_getting_started_11.pdf

Also take a look at:
    http://excitedcuriosity.wordpress.c...usion-apple-boot-camp-and-windows-activation/

http://communities.vmware.com/message/850856#850856

7. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

As someone else mentions there are quite a few threads about must have programs... As for the Parallels/VMware, it has gotten to the point where their feature set is very similar. I just Fusion, mostly because I have to run other virtual machines created by VMware products. Although I also own a license for Parallels. As for performance, XP seems to run slightly better under Parallels than Fusion. I don't have any tests to back that up but when using applications is just seems faster.