About to buy a MacBook..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by goodtimes5, Jul 2, 2007.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a MacBook but I was wondering is there someway to add a video card or something rather than the integrated stuff? I know SC2 is coming out eventually and would like to be able play it... without forking over extra $$ for a MacBook Pro... Thanks!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

3. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

For what it's worth, WarCraft III runs beautifully on my wife's MacBook. Obviously StarCraft 2 will be much more demanding, but it's still a decent machine if you don't have the extra cash to throw down on a MacBook Pro.

Of course this is Blizzard we're talking about here, so SC2 probably won't be out for another two years at least. So buy a MacBook now and then sell it in two years and upgrade. ;)

4. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Thanks guys! I was also wondering if anybody knows of any general issues or problems with the current generation of the MacBook? I heard plamrest stains or something about the first generation..

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

lol I'd LOVE to have an external graphics card! Would make my MacBook so much faster in games!

Too bad there isn't such thing as external graphics card :eek:

6. Flaki macrumors member

yes there is an option to have an external GPU but it's quite expensive, the external cost around 500$ and you need also a gpu, which you choose by yourself.

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Have a look at a site like Macintouch for current issues; there's also a lot of threads on here, but although these can be handy, they tend to offer a distorted picture.

The discolouration problem tended to be in the first rev models - Apple has since changed the plastic.

Generally, speaking the issues affecting MBs seem to affect earlier models (but you can't always tell that when readin forums!), but as I say Macitouch is a pretty good place to check.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Really? :eek: insane! But I suppose they don't work with Macs...

9. mwxiao macrumors regular

SC2 would not be coming out soon! Maybe next year or worse...

So don't hope you can buy a computer now and play a 3D game next year!

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Blizzard's previous releases have all run on a wide variety of machines when released and have not had high system requirements.

In terms of gameplay video, it looks hardly in the same league of, say, a new Quake game - you might be right and SC2 won't play well on the MBs, but it's all guesswork at this stage.