About to buy a MBP but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tinyterrapin, May 28, 2008.

1. tinyterrapin macrumors newbie

Hello there,
    I'd be grateful for your advice please.

I'm a web designer / wed editor and I'm trying to start doing portrait photography as a freelancer.

I've got an old G4 mirror door tower which is now very slow and I'd like to upgrade asap. I use a PC at work with XP pro operating system so I've been out of the Mac loop for a bit.

I think I'd like a laptop (mbp 2.4gb 15") so I have the option of carrying it with me but I'm likely to buy a separate screen for home use (not an apple one as I can't afford them).

I know the macs can use apple os and pc os and wondered if you had any views on getting a laptop (plus a screen) or saving cash and getting the new imac that's out that's faster but obviously I can't carry it around.

Any web designers out there that would still recommend using a separate pc?

Any recommendations for me would be really helpful. I maybe buying it tonight with a friends discount.

Many thanks

Tt

2. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I don't think the new iMacs are that much faster. I just bought a new one and it's a 2.4 GHz, same as my Macbook Pro and they both scream

3. DaveF macrumors 6502a

If portability is important, buy a laptop. If not, you'll get more for your money with a desktop. That's really all there is to it.

I got a laptop so I can use it around the house (office and living room) and travel with it on vacation. This was a high priority for me so I paid the laptop premium. I'd planned to buy a separate monitor, but I've found the 15" MBP generally sufficient. For some Keynote work, I connected a 17" CRT for the extra space, but I don't normally use it.

My wife doesn't need or care about portability (and she's a graphic designer), and she has a desktop system.

4. tinyterrapin thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your input. I ended up buying the mbp and can't wait to have a proper play about with it tonight !