About to buy a new computer - but what about iWork?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joefinan, Dec 29, 2007.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I'm about to buy a new MBP but only bought iWork a few weeks ago.

Will I have to buy ANOTHER copy of iWork for my new MBP?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It will work, but its against the EULA to have it on two in-use Macs at once...

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you're moving iWork to a new machine, you can legally use your existing version. If, however, you are planning to use iWork in both places at once, then legally you need to buy a second license.

4. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

When you say moving, do you mean simply popping the CD-ROM into my new computer?

So, if I delete iwork from my Powerbook once it's loaded on my MBP then I'm doing nothing wrong?

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Correct. You can only have iWork installed onto one computer at a time.

BTW: it's a DVD these days. ;) :)

6. Tylerama macrumors newbie

Actually iWork is a CD. Considering not all macs have a dvd drive in them...

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Wow. I assumed that since Leopard came as a DVD iWork would have too. Live and learn I suppose! :)

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I bought a serial for iWork and use it on both my iMac and MBP. Both work fine.

9. kg1984 macrumors member

Where can you buy serials for iWork?

My new MB is coming tomorrow (allegedly) and it's got the iWork '08 trial. I'm kind of regretting not getting the full version installed when I ordered it, as I have an assignment to write before the end of the week.

How limiting is the trial? With regards to saving restrictions, etc.?

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You can buy from within the program - quick and easy.

As far as I can remember, the trial is unrestricted until it expires (someone correct me if I'm wrong - I bought it the day it came out :) )

11. kg1984 macrumors member

That's great - thanks for the heads up.

This MB is like a baby with all the extra stuff it needs! ;) :D

12. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I would suggest you to use office 2008. Office is still better than iWork 08. I spent $79 on iWorks...only to be disappointed with it.

Reasons why I am disspointed:
    1. Pages are not really compatible with Office created doc files. The layout may change.
    2. Pages files are big...way way bigger than .doc files.
    3. .Pages is not a file. It is a folder with your stuff inside. You will have trouble uploading it to emails.
    4. Pages boot time is not fast.

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm a heavy Pages/Numbers user and I'm quite satisfied with it. In fact I haven't used Office since I installed Leopard.

If you want 100 percent MS Office compatibility this could be a problem. If you just need to exchange a file every so often, it's not a big deal.
    Not an issue unless you have lots of huge files. I'm a writer and I haven't had a problem at all.
    I haven't experienced this problem, but I don't do a lot of emailing files.
    I haven't noticed much of a difference from MS office -- also quite slow. What I have noticed is that Pages is MUCH faster once it's loaded. That's the main reason I switched from Office -- the typing lag in office is unacceptably slow.

Numbers, not so much, but still fine unless you're dealing with absolutely enormous spreadsheets.

Both pages and Numbers are MUCH slicker and easier to use than MS office. I won't be going back.