About to buy an iMac, few questions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andrew D 1986, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Andrew D 1986 macrumors newbie

hi I'm about to buy a iMac since my pc died a few days ago, I was looking at the 20" 2.4ghz an would like it to last me the 3 years at uni, is this possible? Also is the ultimate steal for microsct office work for the mac version aswell?

Thanks!

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I have no idea on the office thing, but on the Mac, sure. Those things are super-fast. We still use computers from 10 years ago here. They get the job done. If you're concerned about it breaking, get apple care.

I assume you're in the US? in the UK I think the higher education store includes a three year warranty as standard with their macs. Which is good!

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

A new iMac should now will last you through 3 years of university with ease.

As for office, the Mac version of MS Office works fine for me, but then, I already had it when I picked up my current MBP. You could also look at the free, open-source versions OpenOffice/NewOffice.

I don't have the most recent iWork, so I haven't had a chance to check out Pages and Numbers.

4. DarrenSW macrumors member

Hi Andrew. Your profile seems to show you're in the UK, so:

If the "ultimate steal" you refer to is the Home & Student Edition of Microsoft Office, then, yes, the same deal exists on the Mac.

Try the Apple Store for Education - the iMac is £750.83; you'd get a £90.00 rebate against an iPod Nano, Classic or Touch or £60.00 rebate against a printer bought at the same time (or maybe you'd get both rebates; I don't know but it'd be worth checking), and there's a promotion running for 10% off Office 08 when bought with a Mac (£89.95 instead of £99.95). Oh, and free shipping too.

If you wanted AppleCare, that'd be an extra £115.15. It's probably worth checking eBay and Amazon UK, though - I got my MacBook AppleCare for £50.00 from an Amazon Marketplace seller :)

Go through www.quidco.com and you'd get 6% cashback as well (less £5.00 joining fee).

Hope this helps.