About to buy an iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rph105, Dec 4, 2007.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

Ok I've been a mac user now ever since 2004 since I picked up my g5 and I'm not going back, but the time has come for me to upgrade and I just wanted to ask a few questions

- should I buy the iMac now of wait until macworld in jan for updates, what is apples return policy if I buy the iMac say late December, will I be able to refund if in exchange for an updated iMac ?

- how easy is it to fit hardrives in these things. Can it hold 2 internal hardives, 2 1tb hardrives maybe?

- since my g5 was a power pc (ppc) how much faster will the iMac be, and will the 2.8 ghz with 4 gb ram from crucial be ok for running final cut, photoshop and pc games?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

returns is 2 weeks un opened ..if opened then 10% restock fee applys.. no custom unit can returned..

No 2x TB drives in current iMac.. no space for the 2nd unit..

2.5x faster on some apps compared to G5

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I'd wait, if you can. There appear to be many problems with the iMacs. If you wait, that will give Apple the time to fix the problems, or indeed, maybe even come out with a refresh that will take care of the issues. Again, read up on the iMacs - there are plenty of problems, more than with any other Apple computers on the market right now.

When it comes to electronic gadgets and computers, the principle is: if you can wait, you should. Technology marches forward - you'll get the same stuff for less $, or more powerful stuff for the same $.

Of course, if you can't wait, you gotta pull the trigger.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They already fixed the serious freezing issues in the affected iMacs. There are no other "problems." The sub-par LCD panel used in the 20" iMac is a feature, not a problem. Right now, the vast majority of iMacs are either perfect or near perfect, see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=396542

I dispute that. Other than the freezing issue that's been resolved, it's not any more serious than, say, the freezing keyboard in the MacBooks or the yellow gradient issues in the MBP.

5. je1ani macrumors 6502

no it's not strong enough.. I find myself constantly crawling while making an iMovie

6. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

Really!!! (in sarcastic voice)