about to buy an imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnb1027, Feb 5, 2010.

1. johnb1027 macrumors newbie

Been researching for a while and am about to buy a 21.5 in imac. I plan on doing some home music recording. My question is, are the 4gb Ram And the standard processor ok or should i spring for the upgrades? Also ive decided to go with ableton live 8 suite over logic because it seems to be much easier to use. I plan on recording vocals guitars and synth stuff. What otheritems will i need i have mics and i plan on getting the akai mpk25 to use too. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's not a whole lot on the iMac - or any other Mac, for that matter - for connecting recording equipment. There's only a single 3.5 mm input connector for audio, so depending on how you want to connect your gear/instruments, you might need to buy some external hardware to properly connect it. If you have the gear to plug into the iMac, I can't imagine your having a hard time using the 21.5. It has a fair amount of horsepower for recording. A Mac Pro would do the job as well, but if it were my money, I'd stick with the iMac for your tasks.

3. johnb1027 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response i figured i would need to get more usb inputs a midi interface as well as an external hard drive i just didnt know if the basic models ram and processor would be enough but from what im reading it should be cool.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah the iMac will handle it, your biggest obstacle is the MIDI interface, I think. You can always get a powered USB hub if you need one, or even an external sound card if that's your thing.

5. johnb1027 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wheres the best place to buy a usb hub

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Are you based in the UK or US or somewhere else?

You can pick them up cheaply from the majority of electronics online stores.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, they're pretty easy to find, and one's not necessarily much better than any other. I would recommend you get a powered hub, one that plugs into the wall for additional A/C power.

8. johnb1027 thread starter macrumors newbie

im in the us and ill def look at a powered hub thanks any other ideas please keep them coming