Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porkchopbone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hello all, I am currently in a 2 yr contract w/ Verizon which I am about to opt out of & already spoke with AT&T about coming over to them ( they are giving me $125 credit for terming my service w/ VW and coming to them which is cool ) anyways...I just called AT&T sales to discuss plans for the iPhone and they said they are not allowed to discuss data plans and that I can go to an AT&T store or 3rd party store to discuss the data plans b/c there are 7-8 different ones. They said that I need the minimum plan which is $30/month. I was totally unaware that there are so many data plans so I was hoping that someone here can advise me on which one I should get and if there is a site that explains them all. Like I said, I never knew that there were so many data plans so any input would be much appreciated!! Thanks for your time.

Scott

porkchopbone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
ok cool, the "6-7" data plans comment really threw me for a loop. Thanks for the replies.

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
If you don't mind me asking...

How'd you talk them into this $125 credit? I've been thinking about doing the same time for quite some time now, just haven't had enough incentive. I think $125 might be just the incentive I need.

porkchopbone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
As far as the $125 credit goes, I basically called and spoke to a CSR and explained that I have 1 yr left on my verizon contract and was very intererested in switching to AT&T b/c me & my wife wanted iPhones and I asked if there were any special promotions for new customers who are opt'ing out of their existing contract w/ a competitor so the rep said they didnt think so but put me on hold & spoke with a manager and came back with the news of the $125 credit to my account once I join. I called again this morning and it's noted in the system still. They created a profile for me under my existing verizon # since I am gonna switch my # over to them when I make the move.

daisuke07

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
that is awesome. i wish they did that for me. theyre like paying/bribing people to leave their current provider

iisbe

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
AT&A ain't what it says it is

You may be better off by staying with Verizon
I have an Iphone and it is rare that I can make a phone call. The signal strength is terrible.

Hello all, I am currently in a 2 yr contract w/ Verizon which I am about to opt out of & already spoke with AT&T about coming over to them ( they are giving me $125 credit for terming my service w/ VW and coming to them which is cool ) anyways...I just called AT&T sales to discuss plans for the iPhone and they said they are not allowed to discuss data plans and that I can go to an AT&T store or 3rd party store to discuss the data plans b/c there are 7-8 different ones. They said that I need the minimum plan which is $30/month. I was totally unaware that there are so many data plans so I was hoping that someone here can advise me on which one I should get and if there is a site that explains them all. Like I said, I never knew that there were so many data plans so any input would be much appreciated!! Thanks for your time.

Scott

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
You may be better off by staying with Verizon
I have an Iphone and it is rare that I can make a phone call. The signal strength is terrible.

On the other hand, I have AT&T and get full signal at my house while my neighbor with Verizon always complains he can't get service on our street.

ratattak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Orlando, FL
att is giving you 125 to cancel verizon and go to them?

uhh, i dont believe that.

i would. economy is ****, and companies will do things to get more customers. esp, if he is going as an individual and not a family plan.

and honestly, I have enjoyed ATT for about 10 years now. They have waived so many fees for me over the years. I really like them as a company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.