About to buy an iPod Touch but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cujoca, Nov 21, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I've caved in and am going to buy a 16 GB iPod Touch because Best Buy has them $50 off of the Canadian list price to equal American pricing. I was just wondering which extended warranty you guys think would be better to buy for the iPod Touch:

The Best Buy Extended Warranty: 2yrs or 3yrs

OR

Apple Care For iPod Touch

I just want to know which one is a better deal?

Thanks in advance

2. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

Also I was just thinking, on Black Friday would Apple Discount their Apple Care for the iPod's? If so, that would be sweet!

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I don't think they will discount there apple care prices..

4. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

That's fine, then which Extended Warranty would you pick?

5. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Apple, i think you can trust them more...

6. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

so if I buy the iPod Touch at Best Buy, how much time do I have to buy the Apple Care? Is it within 1 year of purchase?

7. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Maximum within a year..

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Neither. They're both a bad deal, especially for a relatively inexpensive item like an iPod. Before you spend money on either extended warranty, you should ask yourself what the resale value of your iPod will be in three years. I'm on my third iPod -- the old ones are now so close to worthless that I wouldn't even bother trying to sell them, let alone, insure them.

9. ThornNL macrumors newbie

AppleCare vs BestBuy

The 3 year BestBuy plan costs $59.95 (USD), same as the 2 year AppleCare. The BestBuy plan does NOT include technical support, but you get an add'l year of hardware coverage. So depending on your computer/iPod expertise, you may or may not need that feature. I think the BestBuy plan covers more hardware issues than AppleCare. The BestBuy rep told me that it covers any hardware issue except if you drop it. They will either replace it or issue a gift card for the original purchase price... you could use it on any product in the store.

You should be able to find the AppleCare on eBay for $35 to $40 (again USD), delivered to your front door.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I would get insurance if you have the money, especially if you have bad luck and/or are tough on iPods. I think this counts double for touches, since they have the large screen that may be more likely to have problems. Also consider how long you keep iPods, if you get a new one every 6 months it's obviously not worth it.

As far as Apple vs Best Buy, assuming the 3-year ones are the same price (I actually think BB is a little cheaper) I'd go with BB. First, I think it is cheaper. Second, you walk into the store and they exchange it (normally, assuming it isn't easily fixed). Third, I've heard instances of them replacing with the new model since they don't have refurbs like Apple.

11. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

I think I may go with the 3 year Best Buy Warranty. If say something does happen during the 3 years and they replace the iPod, is the warranty then void or does it continue on with the new iPod?

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It continues with the new iPod, you get 3 years coverage from the purchase date.

13. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

Another quick question, say if I choose to Jailbreak the Touch, will my Best Buy Warranty be void/obsolete or do they have no way of knowing if I reset to factory settings?

14. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

These warranties are generally a bad idea. The best proof of this is that they are a major money-maker for big-box stores, and they're always trying to sell 'em to you. Only one time I've ever purchased one, it was on my phone, and I really regret it. The sales person told me the warranty covered everything - even if I dropped it, etc. When one of the hinges broke, I tried to take it in, and guess what? It's not covered. That's the problem. OR, they'll fix the problem, but it'll take 6-8 weeks for processing. Finally, to be worth it, the repair you require has to cost more than the price of coverage. Better to save the $60 and put it towards your next iPod, which, let's face it, you'll be getting in about 2 years. :)

15. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

If BB has to repair it they ship it off to Apple anyway. A jailbroken ipod can be restored and there's no way they can know afterwards since it's all software. An unlocked iphone is a different matter.

16. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Neither. Not worth at that price for an iPod.

17. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

BestBuy...im a best buy employee

and its worth it@

have quesions ask!

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Case closed...

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I recently learned the hard way about this BS that best buy sells as a warranty. First, be very aware of what they're selling you. Is it a service plan or is it a replacement plan. Hands down their replacement plan seems to be awesome. Watched someone walk in with a broken 360 and out with a brand new one in under 10 minutes. I attempted to take my nano there. I have a 3 year plan. Me, after nearly two hours with the geek squad (aka dumbasses in dumb uniforms that generally know 10% more than the average geek) I walked away with the same issue as he was unwilling to test it as it worked fine when I came in. It was an issue of it freezing when I docked it but it could be fixed with a hard reset. Happens every time.

I was in line for just over 1 hour. I was in front of the big ogar geek for about 40 and I walked out with the same nano because he was unable to replicate the problem. Before that he informed me he can send it in and I'll get it back in 3-6 weeks but they were out of boxes so it would not ship until Tuesday. It was a Saturday.

I have a 3 year service plan. Apparently on anything with a hard drive you get offered a 3 year service plan. Anything else gets a replacement plan. When I questioned how I got the service plan then on a flash-based item and the 360 with a hard drive has a replacement plan he said he couldn't answer that but I could go to customer service and ask. I asked them and they said "because Apple products also need Apple care." I kid you not.

I know this is an exception to the rule here. I mean I am probably only 60% of the population who has this issue with Best Buy. The other 40% are probably very happy. I do have to say this is the second "service plan" I bought from them but this is the worst of the two stories...neither story turned out well.

So be certain in this case you get a replacement plan and not a service plan. Otherwise, I'd get Apple Care.
    Eric it is far from worth it when you as a sale person sells someone either the wrong plan or doesn't explain the two. My guess is no one is either trained or does not retain the information that two plans are so very different that it would really make a difference in the long run.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I 100% concur!

21. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible to get a replacement plan on an iPod Touch? and if so how much more than a service plan?
    I was reading on there website and it says for a service plan if the problem happens 3 times then they will replace it for you...Doesn't sound that bad of a deal to me...

22. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone have any thoughts on either the Sevice Plan or Replacement Plan or which ones better?

Thanks in advance!

23. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

For any Canadians (or Americans) out there...the iPod Touch is not available at Best But right now in my area but it is availabe at most Future Shops (sister to Best Buy). Future Shop offers the same service/replacement plans so do you think it would be alright to purchase it there as appose to at Best Buy. Are there Service Plans the same?

Thanks in advance!

24. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

Hahahhahahahhahaha.... Ding Ding DING ~!~

Whey too sel ur produkts and cmopany!

My brother was a best buy repair tech (or geek squad, whatever they are called) for quite a while... I no longer offer him advice or get into technical discussions with him. Pointless; even with my BBA in MIS and MS in CS (in the works), I could never get past the consumer product 'training' that store filled his head with. It's like talking to one of those 'superfruit' juice peddlers about gogi berries not really being from the himalayas and no better for you than a strawberry.

25. pmpatel macrumors newbie

iTouch 3rd Gen 8 GB and Extended Warrenty

Hi,

I just purchased iTouch 3rd Gen for $178 + 4 Year Extended Warranty for $39.00 from ABT.COM near Chicago. Do you recommend spending extra $40 for 4 year warranty as they cover only mechanical/digital/electrical issues and not personal abuse or drop coverage? I guess $10 per year is not alot but it could be waste of money as after 4 year there is not that much of resale value on this device. Any thoughts??? I didn't check other local stores to see how much they would charge? FRYs electronics were charging $79.00 for 2 years.

Thanks
    pmpatel