Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diametric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Sydney
Uhm, I'm just about to buy a 300 GB Maxtor OneTouch III Ext. HDD and needed some advice. When I get the hard-drive, can I get rid of all the back-up software that comes with it and just format it as Mac OS X Extended Journal and just use it like any other hdd?

Honestly, all I want to do is used it to copy my files to, nothing else. Thanks.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
and what's your concern about the software being pre-loaded, the space it takes up?

diametric

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Sydney
More like, will it be evil and force me to back-up with annoying messages.

But yeah, i did a few searches, and I found that I can just erase the hd in disk utility and format as HFS+

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
More like, will it be evil and force me to back-up with annoying messages.

But yeah, i did a few searches, and I found that I can just erase the hd in disk utility and format as HFS+

I reformatted mine using disk utitlity. I had some problems with the application that came with the maxtor hd, so just did a reformat. It worked well and I have had no problems since. The application that came with the hd kept crashing so I could never finish the setup so I just gave up and reformatted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.