About to buy first iMac: wireless question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bensheim, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Bensheim macrumors newbie

Thanks to all the encouragement I received here back in September, I'm about to buy the first (of two) new iMacs for the office in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure I can find this out on the day, in the shop, but I'd like to put my mind at rest beforehand.

We have a Netgear router with both G4s and the printer connected with ethernet cables. It's also our route to the internet and works like a dream. It is, actually, a wireless router, thank goodness. (I just happen to be using it wired atm.)

Here's the question.

I presume the new iMac will come with wireless connectivity? This is key, since I want to put it in another room and do all my self-training in a calmer environment...... How will the new iMac "see" the Netgear router and vice versa? People tell me it's simple and easy but never having seen or done it I'd like another point of view, please? What happens when you get it out of the box and plug it in - in this respect?

Many thanks. :)

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes, the new iMac's come with 802.11n (draft), which supports a/b/g/n(draft).

3. CBAviator macrumors 6502

Yeah, it should all be super easy. When I first turned my Mac on and set everything up, it found the wireless connection by itself and connected right away. No mess, no hassel---it just works!

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Obviously you first have to make sure that the wireless is enabled in the Netgear router. And go for WPA security if you can, it's the most secure. And now would be a good idea to ensure your Netgear router has the latest firmware, just to make sure.

But once that's done, just switch on your new iMac. If it doesn't try and connect straight away, just select your network by clicking on the Airport icon on the menu bar.

S'easy.

SL

5. Bensheim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all. I know it's a somewhat silly question, so thank you for your tolerance.

It is a wireless router. When I bought it the salesperson at first tried to tell me that it could not be used with wires. Fortunately her boss stepped up and pointed at the four wire sockets at the back. :)

What does that mean?

It's nearly brand new.

This is the kind of straightforward advice I like!

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Indeed. But sometimes they ship with the wireless bit disabled, meaning you have to log on to the router and enable it. If the wireless light is on on the front of the Router, you're fine.
    WPA = WiFi Protected Access. It's a wireless encryption standard. It stops people hijacking your network or snooping on your traffic. There are other standards (eg, WEP), but WPA and WPA2 (better) are the most secure. You set this up in the router... the Mac end "just works". AFAIK, wirless routers tend to ship with encryption off by default... which is a big security risk.
    There still might be a more up-to-date firmware on Netgear's website. But don't loose any sleep over it. :)

7. Bensheim thread starter macrumors newbie

The wireless light is on, went on when it was powered up, and has stayed on ever since. Even though I'm not using it wirelessly.

Uh oh. Now this is exactly why I'm posting here tonight.

There is something I should do, right? Please bear in mind when you reply, though, that I live in a very rural area, not a big city.

Since the router's working so seamlessly, I don't want to tinker unnecessarily, but what's the Janet&John way to set the router to stop people using my broadband? I'd rather not do anything to upset it but if you say I must, then I suppose I must. [pathetic] I know. [/pathetic]

ok. good!

8. l33r0y macrumors 6502

In my experience with Netgear equipment, I have been disappointed with performance and reliability.

If you experience set-up headaches, I would recommend another wireless router. You may as well go with the Apple Extreme AirPort to take advantage of the 802.11n standard for max performance and it'll more likely 'just work' with the iMac with minimum fuss.

But by all means, give it a go with what you have got first, you may be lucky!

9. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Bensheim, I can only guess how to enable WPA2 on your router, because I don't know the model. Normally it's a case of going into the router setup, finding the bit about wireless security, selecting WPA2 for the encryption mode, providing a password of your choice, and then saving your changes. Takes about 2 minutes. But that's just a guess.

L33r0y, the OP has not indicated that they are having any actual problems with the router... please don't give cause for concern when there is none.

If it makes you feel any better, Bensheim, I prefer Netgear stuff over all the other brands for reliability, features, ease of use, everything. But everyone has their opinions and experiences.

Good luck
    SL