About to buy MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boysdontcry, Jan 31, 2008.

1. boysdontcry macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I am a 10 year Windows veteran about to make the switch finally. I've been reading these forums for months now. I'm about to get a 15" MacBook Pro (already have the 4GB RAM to swap in) and am wondering if I need to wait for the new one. I love the current MacBook Pro and think if they put in the Air keyboard which I do not like and the touchpad which I don't care too much about then why would I wait. Also, new processor wouldn't matter to me much since the machine will be for nothing heavy. Just normal home use eg. Internet access, Itunes, CD/DVD burning. What do you guys think? Do I really need to wait for the new one?
    Thanks.

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Buy it now it sounds like this is the computer you want it won't make a difference for you anyways.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Well first, it sounds like you would be great with a Macbook, but sometimes people just want the top of the line, which is normal. :) The update to the Macbook Pro is kind of up for grabs. We know that there will be a processor upgrade, and hopefully a video card. The rumors are that there will be a completely redesigned macbook pro soon. This is what makes potential buyers iffy. Will that bother you? If the answer is no then I would go ahead and grab a refurb. I would NOT buy it normal price, because seeing a system that you just bought, being sold for $700 less new right after you bought it, would be a huge letdown.

4. boysdontcry thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I think the current machine will be perfect. I won't be doing any graphics intense things on the machine, grahpic design, DVD's, games so a new graphics card won't matter much to me. It's just for play. I was looking at the refurbs. I try to never buy anything refurbished. I just don't trust it. What do we think about refurb Macs? I'm definitely hesitant but I might buy. Can you put the refurb under a 3 year AppleCare contract if I decide to do that?
    Thanks.

5. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Yes, you can add the 3yr Applecare. Most would argue that it is better to buy an Apple refurb because you know that it has been tested and works. I have purchased a refurb powerbook before, and it was like new besides the packaging.

6. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Buy it now sounds like you have weighed it out, You will not be sorry this machine is ACE!

Cheers.

7. BrittQ macrumors regular

Wait for the update.

It should come in the next 2 weeks (according to me:rolleyes:)

How long are you planning on keeping this new computer? Several years? If so, think about future proofing. It might be fine for your needs now, but what about 3 years from now?

Also, if an update is released it should drop the price of the current model. So if you do not like the update, then get the model that is out now at a discount. Get more machine for your money.

8. boysdontcry thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks to everyone for their help. I appreciate it. I'm buying tomorrow morning. I'm psyched!

9. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

There's no such thing as a future proof computer.

Anything he buys will be "outdated" in a matter of weeks or approximately 6 months. (The update after this one will probably change the whole chipset)

If the current machine meets his needs, and it seems it will, there's no real reason to wait it out :)

I do not regret my decision to NOT wait, I've been enjoying my new toy for about a week now!

10. BrittQ macrumors regular

What will be better in the 3 years when applications start to implement the new technology like SSE4, and become more processor intensive?

A 2.2 or 2.5 w/ SSE4 processor?

It wont be the same as a brand new computer in 3 years, but it will buy you another year or so. Proofing against the future.

No good reason to wait when the current model meets his needs? See above, and Price. Get more machine for your money.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Read my sig. Each day you wait is a day you could have spent enjoying your computer. :cool:

12. mazdaspeedjoel macrumors member

Lol, your sig is def true.

13. Mark16q macrumors newbie

At least 10 years on Windows myself, and still will run most of my business using it. But for home use, etc and due to many clients running quickbooks on the Mac, I purchased an MBP last week. So far it's working just fine and I'll eventually try to get VmWare / Windows XP on it so I don't have to lug around my Lenovo any longer. No idea what "the new one" will have, but this one has already almost paid for itself with work I've done it. There have been so many Intel chip upgrades that were going to change the world, and I've never noticed much difference from chip to chip...enjoy the new machine.

Mark