About to buy my first Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mic2904, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Guys, have been reading through various threads and webpages over the last few days to find out which imac modell would be best for me.

Let start of to say that i already have an iphone, ipad and apple tv and since my windows pc is abou to give up i think its only fair to Apple to further complete the set ;)

I def will go for the 21.5" modell, but thats all i am sure of.

I am not a heavy, heavy user, but having said that, i used to use my pc more when it was running half decent. To add to this, obviously the ipad is being used often nowadays anyway. I am not a Photographer or musician and i dont go to uni anymore, but would still like to have a half decent spec. The usual music (itunes), probably some office stuff, live nfl and streaming via apple tv is probably the most i will use to start off.

So here are my questions: should i upgrade to 8GB straight away? If so, will they do it in store straight away?
    I think 500gb hhd is enough, since i have all my stuff on a seperate 500gb Usb harddrive. What about keynote, page and numbers. To have them pre installed in the uk it costs 14 quid each?! I guess i have to get them, but are they cheaper if i get them from the store myself?

Also, is it hard to move my music over from the Hhd to the imac?

Last but not least (although i guess i know the answer): any plans of a new IMac coming out? I dnt mind if its more than 8 weeks, but anything shorter, i'd obviously wait...

Thanks for your input guys.

Markus

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

We don't know. However, a lot of well-respected analysts, journalists, and bloggers that have been accurate in the past have a strong suspicion based on supply chains and other sources that it's coming in the next 6-8 weeks, so that is what I'm going on.

Given that the current model was launched in May 2011 and has neither been upgraded nor had its price reduced since, my personal recommendation is to sit tight until we actually see the new model or your Windows box actually gives up the ghost.

3. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

I'm not sinking cash into a two year old iMac when a newly updated model is just around the corner. I have my fingers and toes crossed for USB3, 3tb option, and hopeful (but slightly doubtful) for a Retina Display.

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I'd upgrade to at least 8GB, but do not have Apple do it. Buy RAM from a reputable online retailer and install it yourself. It does not void your warranty, and is a very simple procedure for users. RAM from Apple is considerably more expensive than 3rd party RAM, and there is nothing special about it.

There are 4 RAM slots in the 2011 iMacs. They come standard with 4GB - 2X2GB sticks. Taking your iMac from 4GB to 8GB of RAM from Apple costs an additional $100; you can buy 4GB of RAM at reputable online resellers for ~$30 (2X2GB) for a total of 8GB, OR 8GB of RAM (2X4GB) for ~$50 for a total of 12GB.

5. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

^This man speaketh the truth.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about what you might miss out on with an update. If you aren't using it for hardcore games, video editing or stats, I don't think you'll even notice a difference.

6. mapleleafer macrumors regular

It sounds like you do not require MS Office for professional reasons but just want equivalents. If so, have a look at Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/). It's free.

7. Mic2904 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. I not too bothered really, but would be stupid if I can get a better spec for the same money... Problem is that we dont know. We dont know when, what and we do not even know any prices. How are chances that a higher spec Imac stays at £999? But then you would like to think that in that case an Imac from May 2011 might get at least a bit cheaper.

What is the right time to buy electricals these days. Even if you buy something a day comes out, these days its old and "technically old" the day after...

In regards to MS Office, KeyNotes, Numbers and page: I have used OpenOffice on my PC before, did not know it is available.

About the 8GB: Would Apple throw them in, if I would buy them separatly and turn up with them in the shop? And if anyone has a link where to buy the "propper" Ram, ideally in the UK that would be fantastic!

Again: I really appriciate your views, guys! Thank you very much!

8. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I think the updated iMac isn't anything you should crave for, sure you get newer specs and what not but from what you say you do on your computers, I don't think you'll notice.

Here's what I'd do: wait for new models to comeout and wait week or two after that. Usually official resellers (or Apple store itself) start to offer quite nice discounts to sell their old stock. Now if you have already saved for the iMac you can use the price difference to get the RAM.

As for Pages, Numbers and Keynote preinstalled... IDK I'd prefer to buy it from Mac App Store so these applications stay purchased on my Apple ID. This way you can install it on all your future Macs by just redownloading them.

9. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

there has actually been a significant price reduction on the BTO. Ram now costs a lot less than before WWDC (i don't know the dollar change but compared to norwegian prices you now save around $500 on the maxed out ram when ordering from apple.com). But I think it's not because they want to keep this model for another year, but the ram prices were probably on the level of ridicule and had to at least go down to something close to real world prices.

10. class77, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

FWIW, MacRumors Buyers Guide recommends "Don't Buy". It's been 483 days since the iMac has been updated and it should be updated in the near future.

Don't Buy

11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

17 days and we are reaching 500 days...that's a lot of days! I think apple will hit that milestone this time, and beyond :eek: makes me very frustrated!:mad:

12. Mic2904 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Guys, really, really appriciate your feedback...

But we are still talking about rumors... unfortunatly...

:(

13. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

always rumors, there's really never anything else to go on when it comes to Apple.

14. Nihilius macrumors newbie

I was waiting for new models since June but last week I just gave up and bought top-spec 2011 second hand in mint condition. Only 6 months old, I got it really cheap and could easily sell it right now for several hundred euros profit.

I'm still waiting for new models to come. If they are significant update compared to 2011 models, I'll sell my iMac (and maybe even get some profit) and buy a new one.

However, if the 2012 models don't offer anything great I'm happy with my current iMac and I even saved great deal of money compared to buying one brand new.

So my advice is: start looking for good deals on used iMacs! I browsed eBay, several forums etc for like a month before I found a good deal and then went for it :) Be patient, only buy exactly the kind of iMac you are looking for and decide how much you are willing to pay.

15. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm waiting since February for the new iMac as it was going to be soon! However from what your planning to use it for have you considered the Mac mini (if you already have a screen, keyboard and mouse). Also the Ram upgrade is 2 screws and push it in. Any PC component seller in the UK should help you out. Try CPC online or your local PC shop. Not sure you will need the upgrade for what you plan to do with it though.

16. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If you happen to to be a Best Buy Silver Rewards member, the new model is expected within your 60 day return period.

But wait, I think you said you were in the UK.. never mind.