About to buy new HD - Cloning question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joe8232, Aug 1, 2009.

1. joe8232 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have pretty much decided that I am going to grab a WD Scorpio Blue 500gb for my macbook pro (13"). I am planning on buying an enclosure for the original drive to use as a portable drive.

If I were to put the new drive into the enclosure and used a program like SuperDuper to backup my current drive to the WD and then simply put the WD inside my mac would it work straight away or is that not how cloning works? Also, would my bootcamp partition move across?

2. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

I am not sure about bootcamp but I use superduper to clone my itunes ext HD daily and if I plug the clone in instead of the original then itunes will run with it , just my 2 cents but I think it should be fine

3. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I'm not sure if you already have an external hard drive, but I basically got the same hard drive as you and used time machine to back up my old hard drive and followed the guide here.

4. Demthios macrumors member

I use Time Machine to restore backups and Winclone to clone your Bootcamp side.

5. trondah macrumors 6502

Boot from CD, launch terminal, enter this command:

asr restore --source /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD --target /Volumes/name-of-external-drive --noverify --erase