About to buy storage, need confirmation.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Clark, Dec 13, 2013.

1. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I'm about to buy an external storage drive for my new rMBP. I'm told 256gb will suffice but I do a good amount of work in Photoshop and video editing and the extra space couldn't hurt. I'm looking to gain more than 256gb, which storage device should I buy and keep in mind I dont need too much space, just a little more so I dont have to keep cleaning out my Mac.

Thanks I'm excited for everything to arrive! :apple:

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Buy a cheap USB 3 enclosure, buy a bare drive, assemble both, format the drive and you're good to go.

3. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

I'd like to just buy one device to same time/hassle. I'm okay with spending more.

4. undesign macrumors regular

I'd get a WD Passport @ 2TB. This one specifically:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=420

Its not USB 3.0, but you wont miss out on that as its got Firewire. Those 3.5" drive that require a wall socket for power... I would never use one of these ever again.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just get one of these WD My Passport drives in whatever size you need. Make sure you use Disk Utility to erase the drive in Mac OS Extended format when you get it and don't use any of the WD software that comes on the drive.

6. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Why would you bother with a 256gb external drive, especially if you aren't worried about spending a little more? Pick up a 2tb drive (under $100) and you will have space to spare. Partition it and use it as a backup drive at the same time.
    I don't always need a lot of space, but when I do, it's nice to have it available.

7. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

I will order that one now, I still wasn't sure which one to get but that one has great reviews.

Everyone on MR is SO helpful, thanks to all and seasons greetings!