About to change my hard drive. Quick question....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kronie, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM drive? CHECK!

Snow Leopard? CHECK!

T6? F@CK!

Man, I cant find a T6 anywhere! I have a T6 bit that fits into a screw driver. Do you think the very weak magnetic field will mess up the drive and or laptop?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Only a really powerful magnet will be able to screw with an HD. I mean there is a powerful magnet INSIDE the HD, so don't worry about a little magnet.

4. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That's what I figured. Here we go, time to rip apart my laptop.....

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Yea, outpatient surgery. That took all of an hour for a new drive and a fresh install.

It will take more time to move all the data back onto my new drive.

7. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

is the noise and vibration factor ok?

8. neosferatu macrumors newbie

9. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Well, it spins faster so its going to be slightly warmer but no vibration. Its also hard to say yet because I have been installing programs and moving files onto the drive so its been working since I put it in. Everything is in and I'm updating all my CS3 apps which so far seem to be just fine. (knock on wood)

Between the new OS and the 7200 drive I can definitely see an improvement in speed.

10. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Where's the T6 screws located? Is this a new Unibody MBP? I have the old white MacBook and they're only used on the HD tray, but I don't have a T6 either, so I use pliers to spin the screws since their heads are long and stick out like an 1/8th of an inch. Is this true of the new MBP HD trays? Do the heads of the four screws holding the HD in the tray stick out far?

11. boatski macrumors regular

the T6 screws are the mounting screws on the HDD itself. There's 4 of them. Just use a pair of pliers or an allen wrench if you don't have a T6. Pliers worked fine for me

12. kai920 macrumors member

Ditto. I just put in a 7200.4 500GB over the weekend and it's definitely snappier!

13. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I can definitely feel the drive spinning more than the stock one. Not a deal breaker but its there.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

And some people wonder why there is a ton of threads on here saying "HELP!!! i stipped screws!! what do I do????"

15. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

no kidding. If you are going to do a project, make sure you have the correct tools to do the job. to open a Unibody macbook/pro you need a #00 phillips screw driver, and a T6 driver for many of the internal screws, and if you are really doing some involved work get a spudger tool. works great for poppin' off the keyboard keys.

all these items are about $2.00 a piece and are available at the local hardware store with the exception of the spudger which can be ordered online.

why spend $1-$2k on a machine and then not spend $6 on the proper tools to work on it?

16. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Exactly. I have a kit that I bought from RadioShack years ago that has all the bits one could possibly need to work on a project such as this. If you are going to tackle a project of any kind, forethought is worth its weight in gold.

17. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

And make sure the 00 Phillips has a beefy handle. I almost stripped one of the screws because I couldn't get the grip I needed to turn the screw.