About to Clean Restore... suggestions the process apperciated.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fenixx, Dec 11, 2008.

1. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

Currently running 10.5.5 and I am interested in doing a clean restore of the system and reinstalling Leopard. (This is my only Mac, I have a few backups, including one "sort of" running Time Machine)

I've never done this before, and was looking for some hints/suggestions about the process.

The biggest loss for me is going to be going back and setting up preferences that I will have forgot about until after the restore.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would much rather ask why you think you need to do this. Are you experiencing some sort of slow down or lots of kernel panics? Honestly, OSX is not at all like windows in the respect that a format is necessary every so often to keep things running smooth.

If you say you just want to do it for ***** and giggles then I'll be happy to dish out some tips, but I seriously think doing it is not worth it.

3. fenixx thread starter macrumors regular

fenixx

Giggles, mostly.

No, ;)... I know that the build-up extremities a la Windows does not happen with our OS,...

The reason for my clean up is the finishing of two hectic years of my colleges visual communication program - and as I move onto the next semester I want everything clean and organized when dealing with clients and projects. I've had this habit of project folders spanning across my hard drive (in need of Yojimbo) as well as hardly used software. I'd also like cleanly install the Adobe Suite, as I've had problems with each install and the cleanscript isn't working as I would like it to.

So there is my reasoning, hope it makes sense ;)

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Just insert your restore disc 1 into your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions. Couldn't be easier than that.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're wasting your time. Just throw out the stuff you don't need. That's why you bought a Mac, right?