About to do a trade (MacBook Anti-Glare for a Glossy)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaMax85, May 19, 2011.

1. DaMax85 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

So, last fall I bought a MacBook Pro 15" with an i5 2.4 GHz Processor 320 GB HD and a high-resolution anti-glare display. After doing heavy research of Macbook Pro's, I got nervous that the glare would be an issue (as so many people claim on the internet) that I opted for the anti-glare with the silver bezel. I have had the computer about six months and whenever I use someone else's glossy MacBook Pro I just enjoy the experience a lot more. First of all, the aesthetics are much better. The black bezel and the glass look really nice. Secondly, the colors pop a lot more on a glossy. My anti-glare display just feels old-school. And since I don't really do any color correction or heavy photo editing, nor is my computer outside very often, I have realized I should have gone glossy. To be perfectly honest, I would have been fine with the 13" with an intel core 2 duo, as I don't do too many demanding things on my computer. Looked to downgrade by doing a trade for a 13" plus cash, but hard to find a deal worth my time.

I found someone in my area on craigslist that have been keeping in contact with. She has the same model computer as me but hers is a glossy display. We are discussing doing a trade. Both of our computers are still under factory warranty and I plan to buy apple care on the machine before the deadline, and I talked to a rep at the local apple store and he said we could both bring our computers in to run diagnostics (I want to be sure hers is working and she is not trying to stick me with a dud). So the plan is that if both computers check out, and her computer has no scratches or anything (which from the pictures, looks immaculate) we will do the swap plus she is going to pay me an extra $100 because the anti-glare is an upgrade.

So my question is this: What is the best way to swap the data? Can apple switch out the hard drives? Can they just switch out the displays? Or do we need to back up our files, wipe our hard drives clean, and then do the swap? Is this a good idea or is this risky? We have been talking for a month or two about a potential swap, we are both students, and I feel like if Apple is able to inspect our computers, I feel confident in a trade.

Any thoughts? Advice? Advice regarding swapping out the harddrives?

2. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Just swap the hard drives or have Apple do it. I've done it before. Sold my old 15" to a guy and bought myself a new 17" with the money he gave me, swapped the hard drive right there in the parking lot. Takes literally all of 10 minutes as long as you have the right screwdriver.

Or have Apple do it. But that's all that is needed.

3. hmg macrumors member

hmg

Don't you have a backup already? Backup (in any case!) and then just open up the bottom and physically swap the hard drives, very easy.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

swapping harddrives will work cause it's the same model and everything.

should take less than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing :p

5. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Good choice. Glare is only an issue if you use the computer outside or fail at placing lights. You will like the better color reproduction from the glossy version.

Make a backup with time machine, and then restore from it. Or another form of backup.

6. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Do yourself a favor and buy an external hard disk. You should have a regular backup strategy anyway and this is a good opportunity to start. You're getting a hundred bucks - this should easily pay for a 500 GB USB drive. Clone your OS disk, restore it to the new system and all is well.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Yeah. If you have a backup already (you ought to), then it should be a simple process. No need to take anything apart. Plug it in before you go to bed, and when you wake up it will all be in there.