About to do clean install of Leopard, how do I back up iphoto application?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vega07, Oct 28, 2007.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

I want to backup iphoto the application because I no longer have my ilife 08 dvd. can I just drag the application onto an external hard drive and then move it back into my apps folder after the leopard install?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

that should work, however i think iLife installs some support files to go along with the applications, so it might not work.

3. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

darn...I don't know what I'll do without iphoto. I have so many pictures. but I do know I am not gonna pay for another ilife dvd.

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

the pictures themselves are stored in your pictures folder in your home directory, in a file called iPhoto Library. You'll need to back this up too.
    Unfortunately I've never had to erase and install, but you should always keep your install disks. How comes you haven't got them anymore?
    You could just do an upgrade of leopard that should preserve your apps and files

5. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

i backed up my pictures already.

I lost the install dvd.

and I want to a clean install just to avoid any potential bugs.

6. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am sending the application to my external hard drive and it looks like a bunch of other program support files are being transferred also. I think backing up apps in mac is different from windows. os x includes every file within the application icon so I just have to back up the icon. but for windows, you need to back up the whole folder.

will report back what happens.

7. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

true, but i think there is some iLife files in /Library/Application Support/ which will need to be copied. Applications that come with installers rather than just drag and drop applications always tend to be more complicated to move and transfer. Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite are both prime examples of this.

8. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

ahh thanks for telling me. I will back up those as well.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i'm pretty sure all you have to do to backup the iphoto '08 app is just backup the app itself and the iphoto folder in /library/application support. you also might also want to backup the preference file in /home/library/preferences. leopard includes some of the system files that ilife '08 installed in tiger.

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Just drag the entire iPhoto package folder onto your backup drive. Install Leopard...then install iLife 08...then put the iPhoto package back in the right place and when you start iPhoto it's all there!

11. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

the OP hasnt got the disk to install ilife 08

12. Karvel macrumors regular

Same problem here. Unless I reserve the other MacBook purely for iLife'ing ?

13. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I backed up iphoto, and its corresponding files in the application support and preferences folder. it's working perfectly.

thanks for everyone's help.