About to get first Mac, where do I start?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by solchitlins, Dec 24, 2009.

1. solchitlins macrumors regular

About to get first Mac, 21.5" base imac, where do I start?

I mean should I reinstall software? or just have at it the way it arrives?

Should I do anything before connecting to the Net for the first time?

Should I start loading files from my old pc? or wait until I'm more comfortable with the new format?

Is there a "Mac" email I should start using in-place of my old ones etc.....

Sorry for the dumb questions

Any advice or good links?

2. crewrules101 macrumors member

When your mac arrives it will be ready to go, and there will be no need to reinstall anything. Your mac will walk you through the guided setup (which is very very simple) and it will guide you through setting it up and putting it on the internet. Once you are up and running, feel free to transfer your files from your pc to your mac. there are different places that some things go from a pc to your new mac. also there is the program "Mail" that is a program that is very simple, and similar to Outlook or Eudora, or any other email client for example. "Mail" will guide you through the setup. Also if you need more help go here: http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ and for videos on how to do things, go here: http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ and http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

No reinstall needed. You just create your own account after starting the iMac for the first time.

Doing anything before you connect the iMac to the internet depends on how you connect to the internet.
    But if you mean something like anti virus software or other Windows relics, those are not needed, as Mac OS X has no viruses, only some trojans and other malware (you can count them by your extremities), which need your action (you typing in the password you choose) to be installed.

The copying of data is your choice.

Mac OS X has its own email software, called Mail.

Links are above, some guides can be even found here, and there are also lots and lots of threads, found via MRoogle.

4. solchitlins thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

So when it walks me through setting up my Internet connection for the first time will it turn on a fire wall or isn't that really needed for my home/personal use?

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The best Firewall is at a the point nearest to your ISP modem/DSL connection. This will stop most common instructions and port scanning. Just when you buy a router make sure the manufacture has a firewall built-in.

Plus if you are using a firewall after your Mac bookmark the pages "Well known" TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products & Using iChat with a firewall or NAT router.

Lastly the built in firewall IMHO is junk. You would be better off using the built-in Unix firewall called IPFW using the freeware NoobProof. It is MUCH stronger then the OS X firewall it isn't even funny.

Lastl you should really get the book Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual. With this book you should get a real grasp of 10.6 and breeze through most anything OS X.

6. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

7. solchitlins thread starter macrumors regular

okay got it all hooked up, so far so good.

couple things that I noticed right away is there might be a scratch on the glass that I can see when I shine a flash light onto the machine when its off, but when on I cant see it, I'm probably being anal.

I'm a little bit worried that I had to reset my router to get online and now I need to reconfigure the security of that.

I don't hear any thing, my old pc was so loud and this is so silent, lol

The no right clicking thing is bugging me but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

I went to the apple movie previews web site and I'm concerned that it only plays a few seconds of the previews then stops, is this due to my wireless signal being poor or could there be a problem here? I picked to watch them in highest rez options. I guess I'm being too hopeful to expect everything to play instantly here.

Is there some tests I should run to make sure everything is working right?

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

First, I understand you're very excited but seriously, calm down, you're not going to do anything wrong. Firstly, you CAN right click, just go into System Preferences under Mouse preferences. You can fix it to right click. Secondly, how did you notice the small scratch to begin with if it requires a flashlight to see it? Please don't tell us that you used a flashlight from the beginning to check for flaws in the glass, if you did then you are anal and you might as well return the computer if you expect only "PERFECTION", because you won't get it with any computer regardless what you spent or how it's advertised.

If you can't see the scratch with the screen on then live with it because you're only going to use with it on and if doesn't hamper your work then let it go.

9. solchitlins thread starter macrumors regular

nah not like that, I was trying to just wipe the lint off the screen and grabbed a clean old tshirt and noticed it when cleaning it off, then used a flashlight that was already on my desk. I was more worried that I did it with my dumb tshirt.

sorry if I sound like a spaze.
    I'm just giddy, first new computer in like 6 years.

:)

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Also you should look at the video cast ScreenCastOnline. It will get you really good idea on how to use/find software on a modern Mac.

Lastly get software downloads from MacUpdate.com & VersionTracker.com.

11. 7031 macrumors 6502

At first I thought I had quite a few scratches in the glass. Then I noticed that, while they felt like scratches, and couldn't be removed with the cloth, a bit of saliva got whatever it was off. My guess is maybe residue from the cover. That, or the saliva filled it or whatever. Who knows.

Sadly I also have a dead pixel, but at least it's near the bottom of the screen, so not too invasive.

Overall I'm pretty damn happy with machine.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Use a fabric softener cloth. You know, the thing you put in the clothes dryer. (especially for LCD screens) ...I should go back to see what kind you have, but the tip is a good one for everybody.