About to get iPad 2. Should I?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tritons, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

I'm about to get iPad 2 WiFi 16Gb, I live in Latvia and here they cost about 720$ so my friend from UK will be getting one for me. I really want one but today as I was checking this forum I found thread about lcd bleeding and dead pixels, now I'm scared what if I get bad iPad 2? It will be hard to replace it as I have to get it back to UK and then replace. What should I do? Should I worry?

Sorry for my bad english.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you want it (And can afford), go ahead and buy it.

There's always a chance that something bad will happen, which you'll have to get it exchanged in the UK. But then again, there's a chance it'll be perfect, too. ;)

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have come to accept that there is a much higher expectation on Apple products than other products to be perfect. The amazing thing is that Apple will accommodate that. They will exchange for you if you buy one and are not happy. They did it for me with my iPhone 4.

Beware though--the more you get caught up in that exchange cycle, the harder it is to enjoy the device because you're always looking for problems.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You probably won't have anything wrong with it so if you want one go for it. If you are really paranoid about getting one with a problem then have your friend open it and check it out before they leave the UK. Then it would be easy to get it replaced and you could be sure of getting a good one.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

DON'T GET THIS PIECE OF CRAP!

Just kidding :)

Seriously, you are on the macrumors site in the ipad forum asking this!? Yeah. We love it. Personally, I think it is the best tablet on the market, it is a great experience using it, and I get a lot of it. I think you will have fun.

6. JeeRock macrumors newbie

its the apps!

i bought 2 ipad2 one 3g & wifi only for me and my family.
    everyone is glued to this thing, sometime i cannot even use mine because its not enough for everyone, they gotta borrow mine.
    i barely use my iphone at all browsing and gaming in ipad2 vs iphone.
    i dont even think or use my laptop anymore but not desktop(powerhouse).
    though i had a problem with my 3g version (microphone defective) but replace by apple store right away. so dont get the 3g unless you really need that gps which i need.
    the light bleeding the only way you will notice this is when the image on the screen is totally black and the backlit is to the max. other than that home screen, apps, and everything else is just fine.

im not apple fan im windows user and still would not exchange my desktop the way it function. so that is just my opinion with ipad2

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Your english is excellent. Far better than many native speakers.

Frankly, my impression is that backlight bleeding was mainly a problem with the first production runs of the iPad 2. I could be wrong about that but the dates on the complaints seem to suggest it. Second, dead pixels are a problem with any screen but they're relatively rare. Third, neither problem is likely to be so severe that it impacts your use of your iPad. And finally, keep in mind that any forum like this is likely to overstate the number of complaints, especially for a very popular device like the iPad.

In other words, the odds that you'll encounter either problem are very low, especially with an Apple product. And even if you do, I'm sure there are UK members on this board who can assist you in working them out with Apple.

8. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. Bleedins has nothing to do with white or black model, I mean it's not like only black iPads might be bleeding, right?

Because I want to buy black one, so when I wach movies I'm not getting destracted from white bazel.
    have you had any problems with white bazel?

Ok guys, thank you all, I'll go for it.
    Actually right now I'm using HTC Desire as my phone, but I know one thing for sure, my next phone will be iPhone and I have no doupt that iPad 2 is best tablet on market. Actually I would use Mac as my computer as well if I wouldn't play games on my PC.

Thanks again for support.

9. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Have your friend turn it on and check it out when he buys it to check for backlight bleed. The "connect to itunes" screen would be perfect since it's mostly black so he could see the blacklight bleed cearly if there was any.

10. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice idea. Thanks mate, I'll do that.

11. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Just go ahead and get one. I think you're gonna love it.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Correct. Just give your uk friend a list of things to check for. Remember if there is yellowing on your screen it will go away quickly as you use it. It's something about the glue curing.

My white one is fine, but it's subjective so buy what you fancy. Plenty of threads regarding the pros/cons of each color. I think white will better match your cold Latvian winters.

You can use BootCamp to run Windows on your mac for free.

My father was from Riga. I always wanted to visit.

Cheers