Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
In about 1 week, I'm taking the plunge. I read so many posts in the last year, and thanks to this community, I've made a decision.

rMBP... 15" 2.5GHz, stock.

I've been an IT pro for years, and I'm pretty good with Linux and Windows, but only rarely did anything with Mac. Recently, I started my own media production company, and I've been studying the reasons for and against certain programs and OS's. I already have an iPad Air (64GB LTE) and a few iPhones.

What I really need to know is, what are some good programs for HD video post-production? I don't have a big budget, so the cheaper, the better. I'm not making 2-hour movies, so I don't need a Mac Pro, and I'm usually on-the-go with all this, so mobility is key. I also need to make proper, switchable captioning with DVD and Blu-Ray creation.

Thanks everyone!
(First post, too!)

Frank

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
In about 1 week, I'm taking the plunge. I read so many posts in the last year, and thanks to this community, I've made a decision.

rMBP... 15" 2.5GHz, stock.

I've been an IT pro for years, and I'm pretty good with Linux and Windows, but only rarely did anything with Mac. Recently, I started my own media production company, and I've been studying the reasons for and against certain programs and OS's. I already have an iPad Air (64GB LTE) and a few iPhones.

What I really need to know is, what are some good programs for HD video post-production? I don't have a big budget, so the cheaper, the better. I'm not making 2-hour movies, so I don't need a Mac Pro, and I'm usually on-the-go with all this, so mobility is key. I also need to make proper, switchable captioning with DVD and Blu-Ray creation.

Thanks everyone!
(First post, too!)

Frank

Hey Frank!

iMovie is included with the computer and it certainly handles HD videos on the cheap. If you're looking for a professional-grade solution, Final Cut Pro X is your best bet on a budget (as it doesn't require a monthly subscription).

Adobe Creative Cloud is a great option as well, but it is licensed on a monthly basis.

I own a production company myself, and I would definitely go for Final Cut based on what you said.

Frankton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

It does look like Final Cut is the way to go.

Captioning for the hearing impaired audience is important to me. When I make DVDs, I need to make sure the "subtitle" or "caption" button on an individual's DVD/Blu-Ray player works as it does for normal "Hollywood" videos.

I can't find the answer on Apple's website to this question. Does anyone happen to know if that works in FCP?

Will I need to buy additional software or plugins?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.