Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bremuh77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Hello, everyone. I just created my account to ask a quick question but as a future Mac owner I'll probably stick around for awhile. Anyway, here's my situation. I'm going to film school in august and I have to get a macbook. I'm pretty poor but I managed to find a friend who will sell me her 13 inch 2011 MacBook Pro for $700! I'm all for it but the only catch is that it has to be able to run this,

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Adobe/Creative+Suite+Production+Premium/1501965

Will I be all set? Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
It will be able to run this, but AE will profit from a dedicated GPU.
Maybe you can find a 2009 15" MBP for less than 1000 USD, as that will be okay too.
And you could always buy a Windows laptop with better specs if you want.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Hello, everyone. I just created my account to ask a quick question but as a future Mac owner I'll probably stick around for awhile. Anyway, here's my situation. I'm going to film school in august and I have to get a macbook. I'm pretty poor but I managed to find a friend who will sell me her 13 inch 2011 MacBook Pro for $700! I'm all for it but the only catch is that it has to be able to run this,

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Adobe/Creative+Suite+Production+Premium/1501965

Will I be all set? Thanks!

should be fine. i don't use the program myself, but i don't see why it wouldn't work on just about any computer in the stores today, assuming you are ok with the screen size, resolution, dual core, etc.

why is your friend selling it for so little, though. that sounds very, very odd. you do know that is more than 400 dollars less than what she bought it for just a few days, weeks, or months ago.

bremuh77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
Oh, crap! I accidentally put 2011. It's actually a 2010 MacBook Pro. Sorry about that. Am I still in the clear?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Oh, crap! I accidentally put 2011. It's actually a 2010 MacBook Pro. Sorry about that. Am I still in the clear?

sure. i guess that explains the price then :)

my two cents: don't buy anything that doesn't have applecare. if it is out of warranty (no applecare), you are out of luck. in that case, i think you will be far better off saving up a bit of money and buying a refurb from apple.

bremuh77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
sure. i guess that explains the price then :)

my two cents: don't buy anything that doesn't have applecare. if it is out of warranty (no applecare), you are out of luck. in that case, i think you will be far better off saving up a bit of money and buying a refurb from apple.

I see. Well I believe she says it still has Applecare on it so I should be able to just extend that for a little more money, right?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I see. Well I believe she says it still has Applecare on it so I should be able to just extend that for a little more money, right?

the original warranty lasts for one year. applecare is a separate purchase that gives her two more additional years. in other words, it either is or isn't covered--she ought to know!

in addition, simply having applecare isn't enough. there are a lot of things that can be done to void a warranty, like spilling a drink on the computer, or screwing around inside of it. assuming she hasn't done any of that, you ought to be ok, but you may want to take it into a store and confirm that the machine is still eligible for the warranty/applecare.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

You can only buy the 3-year apple care during your first year of warranty, so unless your friend has bought it back then, no, you can't.

bremuh77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2011
the original warranty lasts for one year. applecare is a separate purchase that gives her two more additional years. in other words, it either is or isn't covered--she ought to know!

in addition, simply having applecare isn't enough. there are a lot of things that can be done to void a warranty, like spilling a drink on the computer, or screwing around inside of it. assuming she hasn't done any of that, you ought to be ok, but you may want to take it into a store and confirm that the machine is still eligible for the warranty/applecare.

Got it. I'll bring it in and find out. I know her and there's no way she's been screwing around inside it. Back to my original question, it should be able to run Adobe Creative 5.5 right? Small cramped screen aside, as long as it runs at good speed I'm fine with it.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Got it. I'll bring it in and find out. I know her and there's no way she's been screwing around inside it. Back to my original question, it should be able to run Adobe Creative 5.5 right? Small cramped screen aside, as long as it runs at good speed I'm fine with it.

until someone who knows what they are talking about chimes in, i'd say it ought to be fine with that program. not as good as the current models, of course, but it is still a powerful computer.

here is some more info on applecare, just in case you are interested in opinions.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1201495/

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Yes, pretty much any computer from last 3-4 years will run CS decently.

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
It will be able to run this, but AE will profit from a dedicated GPU.
Maybe you can find a 2009 15" MBP for less than 1000 USD, as that will be okay too.
And you could always buy a Windows laptop with better specs if you want.

The GPU acceleration under CS5.5 doesn't benefit much at all once you go past basic 3D acceleration, a cheap $40 Geforce 8 card and GTX 560ti will have very little noticeable difference between them. The CPU on the 2009 model will be much slower though.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
For your purposes you will NOT benefit in any way from the 2010 MacBook Pro 13", those were just horribly underpowered machines. But blame all of that on Intel, it was their lawsuit which got it underpowered.

Rant aside, you are better off getting a 2011 15" or even a 2010 15". They are both very powerful machines.

The 2010 13" has a Core 2 Duo processor. This computer will be outdated in less than 9 months. Do not buy.
Instead, get an Core-i processor (i3, i5, i7).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.