About to get my third keyboard in my 2018 MacBook Pro

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Am I just unlucky or are the keyboards in these laptops just as crap as those before it? Just booked my Mac in to have it's third keyboard in a year.

Is there anything I can do to get something out of Apple for this? Am I within my rights to demand a swap to a different laptop? Feeling kinda pissed at the fact this £3k MacBook doesn't even allow me to type properly anymore.
- - Post merged: - -

I should add my MacBook is just over a year old, too! Shocking.

SomeSoftwareGuy

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2019
Sorry to hear this, You shouldn't feel bad asking for a different laptop. They are technically not obligated to give you a brand new one, or swap you to a refurbished model. But, I wouldn't feel bad asking for a new model if they have bombed on the keyboard three times.

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2012
I got a 2019 15" to replace my 2018 15" after it needed a new display, then a new top case, and it came back with a rotten T2 sensor.

Granted, it took about 8 hours on the phone with Apple, and a little social engineering skills, but they did it.

Went from a base model 15" to an 8-core 15" from 2019.

Reactions: sman789

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
I got a 2019 15" to replace my 2018 15" after it needed a new display, then a new top case, and it came back with a rotten T2 sensor.

Granted, it took about 8 hours on the phone with Apple, and a little social engineering skills, but they did it.

Went from a base model 15" to an 8-core 15" from 2019.
I've had a new top case, new screen, new touch bar and keyboard, new logic board, and now have to have another keyboard. I think it's safe to say I got a dud. I might try push for a 2019 model then.

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
I've had a new top case, new screen, new touch bar and keyboard, new logic board, and now have to have another keyboard. I think it's safe to say I got a dud. I might try push for a 2019 model then.
It IS a new computer by now. All major parts were replaced based on your list. "dud" is it if the same part keeps failing, but you already have all major parts new. Not sure if replacement computer will help in this case ;-)

javisan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago, IL
At a minimum, make sure they give the 2019 version of the keyboard. It is my understanding that 2018 MBP keyboards are being replaced with the 2019 version.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
It IS a new computer by now. All major parts were replaced based on your list. "dud" is it if the same part keeps failing, but you already have all major parts new. Not sure if replacement computer will help in this case ;-)
New as in a 2019 model which doesn't keep failing. I understand that by now it's pretty much new, but I have no confidence that changing the keyboard is going to give me stress-free usage.

At a minimum, make sure they give the 2019 version of the keyboard. It is my understanding that 2018 MBP keyboards are being replaced with the 2019 version.
I will at least ask that then, thanks. It's so bloody frustrating!

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Remember how the 2018 keyboards (with the "covers") were going to "fix things"?
Well, so much for that.

Fishrrman prediction:
Once the 16" MBP is released and into service, if the reworked "scissors" keyboard proves to be as reliable as the "old design" (pre-2016) was, all the MBP's with butterfly keyboards will be quickly replaced in the product lineup.

Reactions: jerryk

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
I would push to exchange for a 2019 model, not sure if any better, but worth a shot at this point. My 2018 has had no issues keyboard wise, but my previous model did.

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Remember how the 2018 keyboards (with the "covers") were going to "fix things"?
Well, so much for that.

Fishrrman prediction:
Once the 16" MBP is released and into service, if the reworked "scissors" keyboard proves to be as reliable as the "old design" (pre-2016) was, all the MBP's with butterfly keyboards will be quickly replaced in the product lineup.
Well said. But, a new scissor keyboard design working better is a really big IF. It supposedly has glass fibers as part of the mechanism to keep it slim and provide better feel, so it is not a return to the scissor keyboard design of previous Macbook pros. It will be an untested design, and I am not sure I would sign up for gen 1 of the 16".

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Am I just unlucky or are the keyboards in these laptops just as crap as those before it? Just booked my Mac in to have it's third keyboard in a year.

Is there anything I can do to get something out of Apple for this? Am I within my rights to demand a swap to a different laptop? Feeling kinda pissed at the fact this £3k MacBook doesn't even allow me to type properly anymore.
- - Post merged: - -

I should add my MacBook is just over a year old, too! Shocking.
Sorry to hear of your problems, mate. I normally would say keep going for the repair route but at this point a replacement may be necessary as your relationship with this machine has clearly been soured past repair.