About to have a meltdown

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by niveknailgun, Dec 3, 2011.

1. niveknailgun macrumors newbie

Yes, I've already searched for this problem, so sarcasm isn't required. Here's the issue:

My wife owns an iPad along with an iPhone 4.
    I own the MacBook, an iPod Touch and a 4S.
    When we synch to the same computer, the laptop, it uses all of our contacts and music, which we both hate.

HOW in holy hell do we muddle through this? I've always loved my mac products, but this is getting into PC-stupidity at this point!

Do we create separate accounts on me.com? Do we create separate accounts on the laptop? What are the exact steps to resolve this? Right now, I've got all of our music under ONE account (my original on the laptop), and all of my damned contacts deleted thanks to her last night, clearing her phone up.

I'm truly frustrated and disappointed after singing Apple's praises for years now.

"I'm a race-car Jules and ya got me in the red!"

2. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Since you are syncing to the macbook I am assuming you have all your contacts in your address book app.

When you connect your iphone to the mac itunes should open. If it doesn't then open up itunes. From their you can click on the desired iphone you want to synch. Then click on the "info" tab and scroll down to where you see "Sync address book contacts." Synch the groups that you want to have on that specific iPhone.

If you open up your address book you can make different groups. Here is where you want to separate your contacts from your wife's contacts. Then all you have to do is go into itunes and synch with the specific group you want on each of your phones.

This should help you out :)

----------

You can also do the same for the music. Just click on your iphone in itunes and then click on the music tab. From there you can select "sync entire music library", "Sync only checked songs" and so on.

There are more options in there. Just play around with it till you get it right.

Hope this helped out.

3. niveknailgun thread starter macrumors newbie

No, we don't use the address book. Is that the problem maybe? Since my phone is freakin' empty now, should I rebuild the list with the Address Book? And how do we make a list for her and a list for me, to keep them separate?

And what of the iTunes issue and music mixing? Sorry for so many questions but I've got em... :)

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you take a look at the Address Book app on your Mac?
    The following page explains how to create Groups in OS X, up to Snow Leopard. If you have Lion, the details may be a bit different, but the basic idea is the same.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2486

Make one group for your wife's contacts, another group for your contacts. Mutual friends, families etc can go into both groups. Sync only your wife's contacts to her phone, and only your contacts to yours.

iTunes, same idea. Make one playlist for yourself, another for your wife. I think Krad3130's post explained it pretty well. Just open up iTunes and start playing with it. It's easier if you just start doing it, rather than asking questions how to do things without trying first.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

If you're going to share a computer, it's always best to create separate profiles/accounts for each user.