About to ****ing smash my ipad2 no joke

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 617media, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 617media macrumors member

The first dozen times or so, I just thought I was being a disorganized air-head and was the one responsible for the occasional email I would save as a draft or even SEND - not going through and just disappearing out of thin air like it never existed in the first place.

However, after doing a quick search on google for the first time about this issue, it seems as though I am not alone at all...

I am pretty ADHD and impulsive and sometimes I just feel like doing something even when it does not make the most sense. Case in point: 35 or so minutes ago when I came back from doing some morning errands and grabbing some quick breakfast.... I came inside to my apt, and went to sit on the toilet and had my iPad. And instead of waiting a couple minutes, I, of course had to start typing up an email to a client who I already am late about getting back to.

Whatever. Anyways, I realized my battery was on 1% suddenly after typing up what I considered to be a really good email, and probably took me 15 minutes+ (I know, kinda gross, but it's a habit that I'm sure a lot of people have) because I also have a tough time stopping what I am doing until it's finished once I start.

I probably could of sent it right then - but wanted to look it over quickly just once, so I decided to just "save as draft" like would make sense in that situation so that I would not lose my email the iPad died any second.

Finished up and finially left the bathroom, ran back to my room and plugged it in USB to my MBP right before it died/turned off. Went to read it over and send it, but of course it was no where to be found. I have 3 email accounts linked to my iPad mail - same for my iphone and MBP apple mail...

WHERE THE **** DO THESE DISAPPEARING EMAILS GO TO???? I mean, if this was just once, I could see it being some corrupt bug thingy running through the iPad-mail-app process or whatever... but no, this has happened too many times.

I mean it's not a HUGE deal this time... I can waste another 25 minutes or so and write another email to this guy. But it's now 2 hours later than he should be getting it, and forces everything I have to do back. Plus, it's just ****ing annoying writing ANYTHING twice after the first time was more than sufficient enough...

But thinking back - the dozen or so times this has happened... some of those emails have been pretty massive, well thought out, sometimes multiple hour consuming email-drafting.... only to have the mother****ing thing apparently NOT send out (EVEN THOUGH I HIT SEND AND IT WOOSHES AWAY LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO DO WHEN YOU YSEND AN EMAIL SUCCESSFULLY) except there will be NO proof of it in the "sent" box.

For this moment however, I am focusing on finding out WHERE THE **** these SAVED DRAFT ghost emails go? It very well may pop up tomorrow or whenever suddenly... but that doesn't help me.

This is extremely frustrating. And also being a naturally curious person, I kind of just want to get an explanation for this seemingly illogical problem.

Emails/saved drafts don't just disappear do they? I was under the impression that they don't..

thanks..

*And yes, I have tried just using the general search option in the Ipad for the name of the saved email, anything to do with the email address I was about to send to, keywords within the email subject line/the email itself. Nothing.

2. gorskiegangsta, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

3. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Try using the search function on the iPad to search for the email first instead of losing your temper.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

do you have multiple accounts? what type of email is having the issues?
    remember it just syncs it with whatever your exchange is, so it might be your settings, or on their server side. not actually the ipad..
    ----------

heres a solution most users are finding helpful on an the apple website,

5. 617media thread starter macrumors member

I added at the bottom of the post pretty clearly that I used the "search function" and to no avail.

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

wow replied to the wrong thread... delete delete

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

you waited for your email to catch up and load all emails from those folders? my folders sometimes never load unless i open them up and let them. So sometimes if i'm on the road and haven't checked a folder on my phone, the emails show up as nothing, but then could take 5 minutes or so before they all load up.

8. 617media thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I was automatically connected to my apartment's wifi during the time I wrote it.

And yes I checked all and every draft folder there was. As well as the sent folders, trash and pretty much everything.

BFizzzle -

As for the little troubleshooting bit you just quoted from the Apple forums site or whatever.. that's funny, I was just looking at that before writing the post... but then just as I saw you post that, I was going over it again and realized that the draft, sent and deleted settings for my own domain email account (@myname.com) were actually NOT set to the server but just my ipad... So that could be the solution.

Because my gmail account and the .me account were both set for the server and although I rarely use them compared to my main email address - it kinda makes sense now because all the times this has happened, I can't remember it happening on either of those email provider accounts.

I'm gona restart my iPad and see if I can locate it now that I changed those settings... but if I can't, do you think that going into my server-hosting account and actually going into my root email-server account would be worthwhile? But wait, it was set to save on iPad... so that wouldn't make sense... Which in that case you would think it would of been SAVED on my iPad... but I guess not.

This is good to know thanks, at least I hope this solved the situation from happening ever again from now on.

9. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Well, the iOS email client doesn't immediately store the newly made emails, it first syncs (or attempts to sync) them to the appropriate server, and then downloads them back to the client. In a way, it's kind of like email in a web browser; if, for some reason, the "compose new message" sync fails, the content is lost, because it never made it to the server in the first place. In short, whatever's on the server will sync back to the client (server-to-client communication). Now, I have no idea how client-to-server communcation is handled in iOS, or what settings are optimal for that.

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

With most e-mail clients (like Hotmail or Yahoo), there is also a "Sent"-box. If mails are sent, you'll find them there. I must admit I didn't read your entire post, but this little piece of information might help you - or not.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Did your legs fall asleep after sitting on the toilet for 15 minutes typing an e mail? Yowza!!!!!!

12. caderousse macrumors newbie

So it's Apple's fault that you:

1. Waited to the last minute to email this guy AND

2. Can't plug in your ipad to charge it regularly?

Right.

13. 617media, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2012

617media thread starter macrumors member

Ha yeah they actually did... really bad too. Almost fell over when I got up. Hate that ****.

no. It is Apple's fault the have an issue with the iPad/mail app regarding saving drafts of emails. Google it - it is far from being just me.

14. -TYLER macrumors regular

When you smash it please record it and post the video here.

Also how long did it take you to type your entire post... Could of just used that time for another email.

15. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I'm pretty sure he upped it himself. I hate it when people contribute absolutely nothing worthy in these forums and, instead, inject the thread with their venom.

----------

Typing that post actually serves a purpose, if it'll help him find a solution that will stop this from being a recurring issue with his emails/iPad.

16. toondw macrumors 6502

Just to make you feel better I lost a 5 page document on my pc yesterday! Took me 3 hours to write out again as I couldn't remember what I said! I feel your pain.......but can offer no solution :(

17. 617media thread starter macrumors member

^damn bro , I'm sorry. Yeah, that is one of the worst feelings hands down.

And to the haters: This is the kid who sold facebookmarketplace.com after you all told me NOT to sell it and to DELETE it before I got "in trouble" or at the very best case scenario got a "cease and desist" order and got it taken away....

Not like I made anything significant at all... but considering I randomly bought the domain name when I was wasted for $8 and forgot about it... and then made the sale to a 3rd party company for $xxxx.xx (which then must of sold it to Oodle.com - which is in partnership with facebook)

For doing absolutely nothing... haters gona hate!

And yes I'm currently working on another just-by-luck domain TDL hustle right now, except this time years later I am actually relatively knowledgeable about all the aspects/details regarding it... and this time, IF ... that key word being IF. IF I am able to obtain this through whatever way I have to do so... Let's just say that I am absolutely 50000% guaranteed THE WORST CASE LOWEST DIRT ****** sale being at least $500,000. Best case? A million or two. Or three. No expecting it to happen. But we will see. I deserve this... honesty. It's time.

Chances of me stumbling across a name with an owner like this, and one that has somehow not been taken by a major billion dollar corperation? That the owner did not realize what he was sitting on and get any offers/sell it for more than the average lottery-jackpot is?

Extremely extremely low.... but we'll see. If it's meant to be it's meant to be./ That's all.

And PS. that email is nowhere to be found. Fell down a blackhole?

18. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

I don't know what domain name you are thinking about, but if you think the absolute, worst-case, no matter what situation is $500k, then you are out of your mind.

Worst case is you make next to nothing. Best case is millions.

Not saying it is a bad idea, but maybe hold off on buying that Lamborghini Aventador for a bit longer even though your worst case is $500k.

19. omni macrumors 6502

So all you do is hustle domain names? Do you even contribute anything to society?

And before you throw around haters going to hate or YOLO, let me just say that I hope you never recover your email. You do not deserve anything.

20. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

whats wrong with selling domain names?
    i dont think he said that is all he does too?

is it wrong for someon who buys rare items cheap and flips them? memorabilia etc. Theres some shows on discover or history channel, american pickers? on netflix too i think.. they essential do the same thing he does but with physical property. Someone sees something that MAY be valuable, and someone sells it to someone who will pay that. Same concept.
    "not contributing to society" lolol except wait... its stimulating the economy :rolleyes:

21. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Wow, you really sound like you lead a life full of joy, warmth, and happiness! ;)

I can't imagine what, exactly, takes place in people's lives that causes for them to have this type of disposition towards others.

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i know man, its crazy. I mean op was randomly gloating about it, or it seemed like it to me, but still haha no need to be ignorant.

I just cant imagine having a disposition like that, it would suck being bitter. Too much work.