About to install Windows 7RC to 13" MBP via SD card, Update: Done!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 15, 2009.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

First time Boot Camper need your help. I've created a hard drive with Windows 7 RC, Boot Camp 2.1, & MountMe on it. Do I run Boot Camp update first or after the Windows install, in Windows? Can I tell Boot Camp to install right off the hard drive or do I have to copy all the mounted image files onto the SD card and install from SD card?

When I clicked on the Windows 7 files from the hard drive, it mounted on the Mac without the need of MountMe. Is that normal?

Thanks for your help.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Could I ask why you are installing from an SD card instead of a DVD? I've never tried to boot from SD so I don't know if/how it works.

In any case you run boot camp utility to partition the drive - create a partition to install Windows on. Then you boot off the DVD and install Windows as normal. Finally you insert your Leopard disk to install the boot camp software and drivers.

3. thespazz macrumors 6502a

It's a much more involved process than just copying the contents of the CD onto the SD card.

You have to establish some boot parameters on the drive. Even then...good luck. Google around for Win7 USB installation.

Also, if there's a problem, it's your fault. Don't blame Windows. Do this off a DVD.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I think microsoft has published some guide to install Win 7 from flash (either stick or SD). For ultraportables and netbooks...

Main advantage is speed... most sticks and cards are much faster than DVD's.

5. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Update:

I got it running, but I had to buy a DVD. I could get Boot Camp to see the "mounted" iso, I don't know why. Anyways, with a DVD install it went smoothly. I a tethering from my iPhone 3g on it. :) One thing I don't have with me is the OS X install disc to install Boot Camp Utility. :( I will have to wait till I get home for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Once you get it set up, can you compare idle and load temperatures with OSX?

7. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

8. MBP09 macrumors member

Does your headphone jack have red light coming out of it? Mine does :( I already updated the sound drivers. Also, the keyboard light doesnt completely shut off.

9. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Same problems here.

How do I see the activities in Windows?

I must say, so far, it sucks!

10. Advil macrumors 6502a

this. i want to know if it's worth installing for gaming purposes

11. John89 macrumors regular

I would like to know the performance score too! Specifically the hard drive(or SD in this case) score.

Thanks
    John

12. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

are you sure this is not an optical sound output?

13. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

What do you mean by activities? Processes, services and performance can be viewed in task manager - right click on the taskbar or crtl+shift+esc

14. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

they keyboard thing happens on XP too, so this isn't any big surprise. Apple has done nothing to fix this problem/address this problem since Santa Rosa was used.

15. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

AutoSyncNotifier is using more than 52% of CPU

AutoSyncNotifier is using more than 52% of CPU! It looks like it is caused by MobileMe Sync in Windows 7. When I kill it, CPU drops to less than 10%. Anyone else have the same issue or know of a fix?