About to make the purchase...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by piratezeke, Mar 9, 2008.

1. piratezeke macrumors newbie

Of my first Mac. The only hold-up has been whether to get the 17" or the 15". I was leading toward the 17", but ultimately I want this thing to be portable. Has anyone bought the 15" and regretted it? Or the other way around?

Primary use is going to be for script writing (Final Draft) and I need to learn to use Final Cut Pro (otherwise I'd be going with the MacBook). I am getting the 2.5 with the 7200 rpm HD and the matte screen.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Good choice with the Pro...

Anyway, I've never regretted my 15". It's never seemed too small, and if anything, I'm glad it's not the 17" so I can cart it around more easily.

3. wk127001 macrumors member

I personally don't consider the 17" portable, more like desktop replacement. As a student I have the 15" and love it. The 17" weighs like 7 pounds too, which is something to consider.

4. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

I have the 17" and would not go smaller, but I'm a big guy. It's only 1.6" larger than the 15.4" version, so I find it funny when people gawk about its portability versus the 15.4". The 1920x1200 screen option is hard to beat, plus it runs cooler and fits in my normal notebook case.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

goodluck opening the 17 mbp on a plane!
    the 15 inch is portable enough:D

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Definitely go with the 15". I've never had an MBP, but I've owned multiple 15" and 17" computers, and the 17" laptops almost always stayed at my desk because they were too large to carry about with me. When sitting, they take up most of your lap, and in cramped quarters, quickly become a burden. The 15" feels smaller psychologically, which will make you far more likely to take it with you.

7. bamf macrumors 6502

I've had several 17" laptops in the past (Dell's), and the portability factor is an issue with a laptop that large. I've got the 15" MBP, and it's great. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 15".

You can also use the extra money you'll save to buy yourself a big external monitor if you want more real estate when you're at home. I've got a 24" monitor that I'm attaching to at work each day, and that's real nice to have too...

Congrats on your upcoming purchase.

8. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Huh? I've used it on a plane without issues (yes, coach)

Oh noes! What else do you generally have on your lap in addition to a notebook computer? Uhh... forget I asked.

"That large" being 1.6" wider and pound heavier!? Are you all little people? :D

9. bamf macrumors 6502

No, I'm not a little person, but if you do take your laptop with you a good deal of the time the extra weight of the 17" models vs. the 15" models does get to be a pain. Just my opinion, and it's only worth .02.

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i remember the tv ad with yao ming and that guy who plays mini mE!
    i think it was for the power book a few years ago

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

fail, seriously.

Footprint (15)14.1 by 9.6 inches (17)15.4 by 10.4 inches

135.36 cubic inches

vs

It's 18% bigger than the 15" mbp by size.

12. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

what would a final cut pro do?

I would think, since you are going to be using Final Cut Pro, you are leaning towards the 17" for the screen real estate. I believe the Graphics card in the newest MBP is capable of running a 30" HD, so the use of a secondary monitor is not limited in either version. The only difference is the primary screen space. you are going to use his notebook for travel, then the 17" will be a handful.

For portability, get the 15" with 7200 rpm
    For extra screen space, and less portability, get the 17" version.

either would be and excellent choice, a decision depends upon how you will be using your shinny new :apple:

13. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

I personally think the 15" is a perfect size. I take it to school everyday and it isnt heavy at all and not too big. The 17" imho is too large. I would go with the 15" since you do care about portability.

14. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Fail-er. Cerealy.

I said "wider". :p

Oh, and if you're doing FCP then it's a no-brainer. 18% more surface area gets you 77% more screen real estate. Seems like a good trade-off, no?

15. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

You could always get the 15" (my recommendation) and a separate display for when you're doing Final Cut work at home. Just a thought.

16. piratezeke thread starter macrumors newbie

That's one of the things I was thinking of doing.

Thanks for all the feedback!

17. cityguides macrumors newbie

nice

wow nice
    www.pariscityguide.info