iPhone 6(S)(+) About to meet with Iphone seller from Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petalino, Feb 20, 2018.

1. petalino macrumors regular

I decided to buy a used, unlocked Iphone 6 from Craigslist.

Meeting the seller today at an Apple store, so the safety factor is covered.

My biggest worry is not to get scammed by buying a stolen or not fully paid off phone, which may be blocked by a phone company to which money is still owed..

I intend to check the IMEI online , but are there any other steps I could take to be sure that the phone is clean and not stolen? BTW, what is the website address to check the IMEI?

The seller will not email me the IMEI "due to past experiences", but when we meet, I can do any checks I want, including inserting my sim card and testing it.

2. Pnr2020 macrumors regular

Pnr2020

I always use checkmend it ain’t free but there the best

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’d rather meet at the carrier store (the carrier from which the phone was originally purchased), to ensure the phone was paid off and in the clear.

Also be sure to check that iCloud/Find My iPhone are disabled on the device.

5. petalino thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    Wouldn't the IMEI check be provided by the manufacturer itself: Apple?

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Ask for a receipt where they paid for the phone in full at purchase.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

This!

The carrier or an Apple store is best. They can check the phone out, check the IMEI, make sure it's paid off and there are security cameras in them all...

8. JackieInCo Suspended

I've never been asked for a receipt on any phone I've sold and I've never saved receipts for that purpose because people never have asked for one.

I'm selling my 6S+ on CL now and it was purchased directly from Apple unlocked so I never got a receipt for it or if it came in the box, I never saved it.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You do not keep your receipts?

If bought directly from Apple, via on line, the receipt is in the shipping box. You can also print one from the Apple site.

If purchased in person, Apple will offer you a hard receipt or to email one to you.

Receipts can prove a phone was paid for in full and not financed. To many are selling their financed device which when they quit pay, the carrier will blacklist the IMEI.

I will take a receipt any day!

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Whether I buy from AT&T or Apple, I get a receipt emailed to me. If for no other reason than I need the receipt to get SquareTrade coverage.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I'd not provide a receipt if selling on Craigslist if it has your personal info on it. The benefit of CL is anonymity.

12. JackieInCo Suspended

Same reason I use a Google Voice number as my calling and text number for these types of transactions.

13. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Have them print and email a receipt. File in an email folder or even Cloud drive. I have receipts for everything I’ve bought from Apple for years.

14. JackieInCo Suspended

You know, I've asked the person at the Apple store to email me a receipt on every purchase and the receipts have never showed up in my email. I even have a smart box on my email app just for Apple.

15. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Wait until it comes through. Had the no-show happen.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would rather do the receipt than trust Goggle for anything.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2018 ---
    Yep, I keep a mail folder named "Purchases"

17. newellj macrumors 604

I always ask for email, never ask for paper. There have been a few times when the email receipt never showed up anywhere (including the spam folder). Not often, but it has happened.

--- Post Merged, Feb 20, 2018 ---
    This has been my understanding, too. So at the end of the day, you never really know how long the phone will be usable if you buy it used.

18. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Meaningless. Nothing stops the seller from reporting it lost/stolen AFTER taking your money, if they're going to do it. The best answer to purchases on CL is... don't.

19. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I’ve sold and bought many iPhones from Craigslist users, and never experienced an issue. Even phones “not paid off” will be fine. The carrier dings their credit history, they dojt cripple the phone. That’s why people reneg on paying the device...

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s not a risk or something I would want to dabble into purchasing a device that’s not paid off from a complete stranger.

21. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Me, neither. A shop once sold me a second-hand iPhone 5 and, as soon as I got home, it wouldn't work with a variety of sim-cards - the shop had clearly been buying stolen goods or not checking them first.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Has it occurred to you that your "smart box" in not working or they have the wrong email address?

23. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

I think you actually believe that. That's kinda sad. It's also completely untrue.

24. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I love getting an email the instant I purchase anything at our local Apple Store. Has a nice email with a PDF attachment. It's worked consistently since I started buying Apple Products.

25. raqball macrumors 68000

Absolutely false information right there..

Agree!