about to move iTunes to external -- just a quick question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yotoad, Jun 1, 2008.

1. yotoad macrumors member

2. thenetstud macrumors member

I would keep the LaCie on "On" as I hate having to wait for the disk to spin up and delay me those precious few seconds I could be accessing my data.

3. yotoad thread starter macrumors member

okay -- sounds good to me -- it's not going to cause the hard drive to wear out earlier will it?

4. yotoad thread starter macrumors member

also, what happens when the computer goes to sleep?

5. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Does that 1 TB Lacie HD have 2, 500GB hard drives, or just a single 1TB drive?

Once a person has acquired 100 GB or more of music that often represents a huge investment in time, money and lots very difficult to replace music files and especially time consuming are those personal notes, ratings , customizing Genres and custom comments and last but not least, hopefully many inspired playlists for every mood, and situation including custom CD, Mp3 discs or portable player tracklists.

OK? Now imagine all your song files or all the playlist data disappearing.....

That's what happens when THE hard drive holding all your iTunes fails, from a bad part, corrupt data, lightening strike or maybe your dog pees on it! Or it could run without a glitch for the next 10 years. If it's hard getting the idea that hard drives fail ALL THE TIME, to good people, just like you, read some of the "my hard drive died, now what do I do?" posts in the equipment forums. It doesn't matter what drive you get, because they all seem to have had bad batches. Seagate will warranty many new drives for 5 years but compared to hundreds of GBs of lost data loost, getting a new HD is not much compensation.

So, to avoid feeling really, really bad, should the external iTunes song file HD fail, make a point to get another drive, like your Lacie or split dual drives so that one can back up the other at intervals and then back up your song files and your itunes library (tags and playlists) as needed. A mirror set is good, but only for certain kinds of individual drive failures. A lightening strike or a power line falling across your DSL might take both out, and corrupted files will just get duplicated to 2 drives running as a constant mirror.

If you're really paranoid, only hook up the backup drive when you need to transfer data and keep it in a safe (off site?) space at other times.
    I don't think a more secure backup protocol is required, which keeps a third drive at another secure location (attempting to avoid a flood or fire etc. that would destroy an onsite backup HD too), but it's not a bad idea.

The mistake I made was starting with a 250 GB drive and then getting a 400GB HD to handle a growing library, and then a 500 GB HD and then a 750GB HD pair. I should have just got 2 750 GB HDs, like I have now, but those were not even available when I started creating my itunes backup library. Recently, very large HDs can be had for CHEAP, so a backup HD pair is a no brainer. @ 750 GB HDs would have cost a LOT more, until just the last couple of years.

If you back up your main OS X boot drive, then the itunes data folders should get backed up as well.

Good Luck, but keep a back up!

6. yotoad thread starter macrumors member

i have two of these 1TB drives, one for media, the other for Time Machine -- i have another 250gig rocstor that i'm not using for anything, not sure what i'll use it for right now

. . .